What is a 'Krelboyne'?

Steerpike

I was wondering if the word 'Krellboyne' had any relevance or history. A google search does not reveal much. Is this just a made-up word in the show, or a person's name? Thanks!

Alle

I think it refers to Seymour Krelboyne, the protagonist in "Little Shop of Horrers". I think he was a stereotypical nerd-type.

Steerpike

Awesome! Thanks! I'm going to buy Little Shop of Horrors based on this fact alone! For some reason I never saw that movie!

MITM is my favorite TV comedy, and I only came across it because CW started showing it in the Bay Area right after my previous favorites ... "The Simpsons" and "South Park". I love it! I can't wait till it's released on DVD.

Gouki

Awesome! Thanks! I'm going to buy Little Shop of Horrors based on this fact alone! For some reason I never saw that movie!

Nah, don't buy it. Rent it out first and see if you like it.

I never want to see it again, but that's because I was involved in my schools production of it, and was glad to see it gone by the end.:p

King Ghidora

The name of the lead character in the 1986 movie, "Little Shop Of Horrors", starring Rick Moranis, was named Seymour Krelborn but the same character in the 1960 Roger Corman directed movie, "The Little Shop Of Horrors" was named Krelboin. Most likely the word "krelboyne" is a reference to the character in the Corman movie. But that is just speculation on my part. I have no proof.

Richiepiep

Administrator
The name of the lead character in the 1986 movie, "Little Shop Of Horrors", starring Rick Moranis, was named Seymour Krelborn but the same character in the 1960 Roger Corman directed movie, "The Little Shop Of Horrors" was named Krelboin. Most likely the word "krelboyne" is a reference to the character in the Corman movie. But that is just speculation on my part. I have no proof.

Hi,

I think I got the full answer, based on a lost page from the best factual 'Malcolm' site at the time, lifeisunfair.net, and modified a bit:

The 1960 film "The Little Shop of Horrors" featured a socially inept, nerdy lead character named "Seymour Krelboin". The role was played by Jonathan Haze, but the movie is now more famous for featuring 23-year-old Jack Nicholson in one of his first maniacal roles as a masochistic dental patient. See attached picture of Nicholson and Haze.

The story was later adapted for an off-Broadway musical, (entitled "Little Shop of Horrors") in which the surname of the main character, played by Lee Wilkof, was changed to "Krelborn." The 1986 movie of the same name, which starred Rick Moranis, is based upon this version, and also used the name "Krelborn".

Rich

Last edited: