Better quailty Malcolm download?

malcolm_CobraBK

hi guys i was wondering where you got that rip of 314 - Cynthia’s Back as i missed that episode and i dont have a good rip of it only a crappy FOX rip and i no u guys have it on the web site but i was hopeing to get it in AVI.

thanks cobraBk

yardgames

Retired Administrator
You can watch and download that episode and many others by going to our homepage and then clicking on Watch and Download Episodes and finally on Season 3. Here's the direct linK: http://malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/?page_id=24 Simply scroll down to Cynthia's Back and click Watch/Download. The download is a medium-quality 80MB WMV file.

By the way, welcome to the forums! I hope that in addition to enjoying the episodes, you'll post your thoughts and ideas about them here in our community. If you have any questions or need any help, please don't hesitate to contact myself or tjpeople. Have fun!

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Welcome malcolm_CobraBK, what we have available is as yardgames has said. High quality episodes are for members of the forum who have show dedication and/or contributed to the MITMVC.

reese35

Welcome to our happy home. Hope you like it here. I have to advise you that the version we have - as you may or may not saw - is basically the same as the ones they show on your local TV station - no cold opener and cut footage to make room for commercials (ask anyone - they'll tell ya that gets on my nerves). Anyways, consult one of our top men (otherwise known as admins.) - tjpeople, yardgames. They're a good help. Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

reese35

ONLY season 3 is missing SOME (not all) cold openers. No other footage is cut.

but yes it is annoying.

Thank you for that, TJ, but they ARE of syndicated quality, which means there have more commercials, which means some scene fragments (quotes, for instance) have to be trimmed to fit the allocated time. Seriously, watch one of the syndicated episodes (really observe), then watch a first-run episode, and tell me I'm not right. :p

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
I'm not saying your wrong - but I wasn't aware any footage apart from cold openers being cut. The episodes are not drastically shorter all over 20mins, and what do you mean by 'quotes'? Can you give an example some way?

Ryebeach

I don't have any specifics about each episode but Mike is right. Every syndicated episode of any series, MITM included, will have certain segments of a scene that are cut for off network syndication. It could just be a sentence or two, or a couple of shots of scenery with no dialog, which are cut for time. A first run episode of a half hour TV series runs about 22 minutes, give or take a few seconds. For off-network syndication, that needs to be trimmed down to 20 minutes or less, give or take thirty seconds, to increase revenue through commercial advertising for the stations.

In MITM's case, this can easily be done by cutting the cold-opens, since they are not a direct part of the episode. However, in certain circumstances, the cold-opener isn't long enough and more has to be cut out of the episode. It's safe to say with a fair amount of certainty that if an episode airs in syndication with its cold opener intact, there are at least a few missing segments of scenes elsewhere throughout the episode. A lot of times, the parts cut from an episode aren't even noticeable. I've never noticed any scenes or segments, apart from the cold openers, being cut from a syndicated episode of MITM, so the editors do a good job to make the viewer not aware of the cuts.

reese35

I've never noticed any scenes or segments, apart from the cold openers, being cut from a syndicated episode of MITM, so the editors do a good job to make the viewer not aware of the cuts.

In "Reese's Apartment", there is a scene before Hal and Lois meet with the shrink - where Reese is in his bedroom between 2 neighbors - one neighbor pleading his "ex-wife" (or so we think) to see his kids; and another (this one's name is Dave) telling a character on TV to "stop being a coward" and pull a trigger. Reese asks him "What channel do you have on in there? Sounds better than what I'm watching!" In syndication, that part is cut. Also, if you watch "Baby pt 1" carefully, there are noticeable trims (if you listen to the background music during some scenes), especially a scene where Lois calls Ida, in these specific words, a "hateful old woman". Of course, all 151 episodes are game to the syndication trims.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Well all episodes except season 3 are NON syndication (As far as I know) on the VC.

So any season 3 examples?

reese35

Well, in Company Picnic, scenes are rearranged to fit both part one and two. (Watch the original hour long episode and both syndicated half-hour portions to see what I mean). Also, in the beginning of part 3 of "Monkey", there is a scene with sleep-deprived Malcolm saying that he's made it days without sleep, but getting his words mixed up (and his bread mixed up with his dictionary - he's trying to make him a peanut butter sandwich while highlighting text in his book). In syndication, that part is cut and it begins with the scene of Craig's admittal to Lois that his monkey's out to get him.
In another part 3 (Malcolm's Girlfriend), a scene with Dewey's dealings with various people for Ronnie's birthday is cut. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNyRD-OC9_g - scroll to 7:12)

Last edited:

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Hmm your right. Well that news to me. Bad news.

Question: Does: coldopener included = cut footage, ever?

Because for example episodes 2,3,12,15,16,19 all have cold openers.

Last edited:

Ryebeach

Hmm your right. Well that news to me. Bad news.

Question: Does: coldopener included = cut footage, ever?

Because for example episodes 2,3,12,15,16,19 all have cold openers.

Mike may be able to post specifics for those particular episodes but in general, yes, if a cold opener is included in a syndicated broadcast version of an episode, then there is footage cut from the episode elsewhere to equal out the time.

reese35

There are some cases where they keep the opening credits instead of leaving in the C.O. and a typical 4-second sting where in which case it would total less than the opening credits time (33 secs.) Example, in Water Park (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK27jifpLzw) the cold opener is 24 seconds, so paired with the sting that would be 28.5 seconds, leaving them a 5 second window for more footage. (seeing what I mean?) Also, in Houseboat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGIoDpODYBI) the C.O. pretty much the same case, so, again, they would have about 5 seconds more footage to include, especially the quote "And for what? For some trampy girl? For --" [3:48].

oh, post 700.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Wow, you really do analyse that stuff extensively, Mike.

Here's a question: Theoretically more people watch an original episode on network primetime TV than syndication. So why do they need more commercial time for the syndicated version if fewer people watch it?

Ryebeach

Wow, you really do analyse that stuff extensively, Mike.

Here's a question: Theoretically more people watch an original episode on network primetime TV than syndication. So why do they need more commercial time for the syndicated version if fewer people watch it?

Good question, Sam. Mainly because it costs a great deal to buy a show for syndication and in general, the networks that air syndicated shows (TBS, CW, TNT, A&E, etc) have far less up-front cash to spare, than one of the major four networks (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX), would have. So, to make up for that, they need to generate more revenue from advertisers by showing more commercials, thus cutting down the air time of the shows they purchase.

Last edited: