Reese Leaving Home

Murph

In the final episode, why did Reese HAVE to leave home as soon as he turned 18? I found that a bit cruel. My brother will be 18 in November, and I'd hate to see him leave on his own choice, but to get thrown out-it's just bad parenting. Whether your kids are 8, 18 or 80, it doesn't matter, they're still your kids, and you should always look out for them, and in the final episode, it seemed that wasn't the case for Reese.

Anybody agree/disagree?

rzombie1988

They finally had an excuse to get Reese out of there. Otherwise, he would have never left. Plus, Reese brought many problems to the family.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Well, Reese was always a huge troublemaker, and he always cost the family a lot of money. Lois wanted him to go to college after season 6, but he flunked and had to repeat 12th grade, which he did on purpose for the very reason of not having to move out. He didn't want the responsibilities of living on his own, but his financially strapped parents aren't legally bound to take care of a 19-year-old, so now that he's graduated high school, they might as well kcik him out.

AlexTheMartian

In the final episode, why did Reese HAVE to leave home as soon as he turned 18? I found that a bit cruel. My brother will be 18 in November, and I'd hate to see him leave on his own choice, but to get thrown out-it's just bad parenting. Whether your kids are 8, 18 or 80, it doesn't matter, they're still your kids, and you should always look out for them, and in the final episode, it seemed that wasn't the case for Reese.

Anybody agree/disagree?

It tends to be standard practice of American sitcoms, and possibly many American families, to expect the child to have a paying job when they are 18, and capable of living on their own. I think it is actually beneficial for the young adult to have experience living on their own, be it in a college dorm or in an apartment. It integrates you into the society, and prepares you for what is to come when you have a family of your own.

But then, Reese is a trouble maker, and really, if his parents have not thrown him out into the real world, he would end up being like an uncle that most of you might have that ends up living with his parents, even when middle-aged.

And his parents will still look out for him when he is gone, I am sure they will call him, maybe come visit him, or have him come over for family gatherings and holidays.

Last edited: