Christopher Masterson member of the Church of Scientology?

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
According to wikipedia - yes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Masterson

For those that don't know about Scientology. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Scientology

I was just browsing wikipedia doing a bit of site promotion and read that and was totally shocked! I can't believe it really - my opinion of Christopher Masterson has been shaken up.

The "Religion" is a joke to me - I walk past the headquarters a couple of time a week.

180px-ScientologyShopTottenhamCourtRd.jpg

Alle

Scientology may be the brainchild of a wack-job paedophile, but thats no reason to change your views of Chris Masterson.

AlexTheMartian

Eh.. it is Hollywood, let them do what they think is "fashionable" :tongue:

I am actually supposed to be going on a field trip to a Scientology building in Santa Monica, CA this Friday for a beliefs systems college class, but I decided not to go due to the ridiculousness of it, and that I am going to be leaving for Las Vegas that day. oh, and Justin Berfield's article about Vegas on his site really helped me plan my trip :thumbup1: can't wait to go on those roller coasters.

Richiepiep

Administrator
(I didn't want to burden the nice poker program thread with this discussion, but noticed there was an older thread for this issue anyway)

The Citizens Commission on Human Rights charity mentioned in the Celebrity Poker Showdown, which Chris favoured, is a Scientology-funded organization.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_Commission_on_Human_Rights

Much as I hate Scientology, I must say they have a point when they oppose the liberal prescription of mood-altering drugs like Ritalin and Prozac. It's crazy that in modern Western society, about 10% (!) of the population is now dependent on anti-depressants like these. One of my best friends is completely dependent on this stuff, so I should know.

Other than that, the notions that "Psychiatry kills" and "that psychiatry spawned the ideology which fired Hitler's mania, turned the Nazis into mass murderers, and created the Holocaust" must be deemed the typical sweeping statements of a self-centred, narrow-minded, money-hungry organization.

I'm completely convinced Scientology is a hoax. When I was a student, we got leaflets, apparently ordered by a former student hall member, that Ron Hubbard (founder) had found out that nicotinic acid (niacin, vitamin B3) would protect you from radiation in case of a nuclear attack or accident. So that would be a reason to enter their special treatment program, which would cost you hundreds, ultimately thousands of dollars. I'm not joking. This is what they stated. But what are a few thousand dollars compared to this sure-fire cure of for radiation poisoning?!! :p

That's how (calculatingly) crazy they are.

On behalf of Chris, it must be added that, as far as I've heard, he was never pushy in trying to convert other cast and crew members, and that he was raised in a Scientologist family, so it comes just as naturally to him as I was raised a Catholic.

Rich

Last edited:

Richiepiep

Administrator
There's no doubt about it. So is Chris' brother Danny Masterson.

The best sources are always the organizations themselves, not some rumour mills.

Danny has a promotion page on the organization's own website:

http://www.whatisscientology.org/html/Part05/Chp19/pg0318.html

I'm not that judgmental though that I denounce them as people. Most people need some prop or support to see them through life. Still I'd much rather see them use a traditional, inspirational religion or philosophy than this one.

Rich

Last edited:

Lparsons7981

Religion is Religion, the Catholic church has made plenty of money of the centuries through promising it's followers a magic solution to problems, if he wants to be a Scientoligst, it's his money not mine, it doesn't really bother me.

Richiepiep

Administrator
Religion is Religion, the Catholic church has made plenty of money of the centuries through promising it's followers a magic solution to problems, if he wants to be a Scientoligst, it's his money not mine, it doesn't really bother me.

Yes, as long as he, what's the word, doesn't proselytize.

(I'm a Catholic renegade ;))

Rich

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Its often odd reading old posts from yourself.

I guess I've adapted my views somewhat. I'm not bothered that Chris is into Scientology, to me its just another religion. Chris and Danny grew up as Scientologists.