Could a MITM movie have worked?

rzombie1988

Does anyone think a MITM movie might of been able to do well, and what do you think would have been the plot in the movie?

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I think the closest we ever came to an MITM movie was the Reese Joins the Army series. Honestly, all three parts add up to about an hour and 15 minutes, which is the length of a short feature--just shown on TV instead of in theatres. No, I don't think a true movie would have worked because you're attempting to cater not just to MITM fans but to other people, as well. These newbies won't understand the true premise of the show and if the director attempts to explain it, then the fans would be bored. It's rather a catch-22.

qwerty

I think a movie could have worked. Not a 'Movie' Movie, but a TV/ Straight to DVD movie. The Family guy movie is an example of this: not revolutionary, but enjoyable, and something that fans could enjoy. I don't think you would need to go out of your way to bring non-fans up to speed with the characters, because by that logic you would need to do that at the start of every episode, in case someone who has never seen an episode before watches it.

Plot: A trip away would be the obvious choice, but perhaps a little cleched. Um... I dunno, maybe Francis gets into trouble and the family have to rescue him?

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Too boring, need a better plot. If we're gonna do it, gotta do it right. ;D What about Reese being arrested and imprisoned for something that Malcolm actually did, so he's running away while Dewey is trying to scare Hal with a pack of wolves in the backyard and Lois gets so engrossed in a new soap opera that she doesn't even notice the whole set of affairs?

Or that ep someone wrote at the old VC where Dewey got into a band trip with someone that did drugs and Hal had an adventure of his own with the police?

punkygrl5

Good plot. But its not the kinda thing that would make it to cinemas, sadly. Think about it, what genre would it fall into, Comedy maybe, but its not exactly scary or full of shooting action skydiving karate scenes, and if it was it would ruin the whole feel to the show. But one of those really long cool specials would work.