The Announcement...one year later

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Not trying to kill the good mood, but I just remembered that this past week marks one year since the really bad day that we learned that MITM had been cancelled.
I just want to ask how you guys reacted to the news when you read it online? How did you feel?
I remember that I checked my email and Sam had sent out a mass email to all members of the VC(the old one). The heading, if I remember, was either "Bad news" or "MITM cancelled) or something of that nature. Whatever the case, I just slumped in my chair and mumbled, "Oh no." Hesitantly, I opened the email and read that the show had been cancelled. That kind of ruined my night...and the next two weeks or so. It took a few weeks to finally just realize that it was over and all the cast/crew was moving on.
Anyways, what about you guys?

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Hmm...I don't remember sending that email. ;D I was kind of in shock; it didn't really sink in at first. I was just kind of excited to see the (admittedly disappointing) conclusion to Bride of Ida. It sort of sunk in after College Recruiters aired that it was one of the last episodes. And by the time Morp rolled around I was bawling like a baby. I think I was actually crying harder during the Morp scene where Dewey cared so much for Jamie that he created the entire birthday party than I did during Graduation. Although I was shedding a few tears during the end of Graduation, when Citizen King was playing again. How cool it was to end the Pilot and the final episode with the exact same song.

PBUNDY

That song was very sad and brought back some good memories. To me, the hardest scene for me to watch was in Graduation, where Malcolm was giving his valedictory speech, and the camera pans to Lois and she's about two seconds away from just breaking down... but then they showed the "3 Months Later" scenes and Hal started screaming, and when Hal screams like that it's hard to feel upset.

reese35

Granted, we all were hit pretty hard when the news came. (I still blame Fox. Their stupid rescheduling.) But I guess when the finale came, we all were left - as Hal put it - in a tiny gray area so we could live in peace. I still think an hour-long finale, along with a special goodbye message from Fox, would've sufficed, but hey - we get our Wilkersons, they get their money. ;D ;D ;D

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
I just want to know how you felt when you first read that mass email or heard about it somewhere. Did you just sigh or fall back in your chair or...
sorry if Im being nosy here. ;D

PBUNDY

I first heard about the tragic news while reading an article on the internet. The news left me heartbroken, but I kind of knew it was coming to an end, especially when they switched the Malcolm timeslot from Fridays back to Sundays. I was in a trance for a couple of weeks. I hate to say it, but I really don't think the news has completely set in yet... even a year later, is that kind of pathetic?

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
That's not pathetic. I mean, Im over the initial "sadness", but sometimes when I just stop and start thinking about MITM and how it's never coming back and it's all over, I get kind of depressed.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
Y'all are just a bunch of pansies...

I said 'oh well, I'll have to figure out something else to do 6.30pm'

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
@J-Let's see your school marching band loose the big championship of the year, and we'll see who acts like the pansie then. ;D
@MalcolmReeseDewey-Just my opinion, but I don't think any show that comes along will match MITM in wit, humor, originality, acting...you name it. :)

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
Absegami doesn't lose. Undefeated for 3 years in the regular season. Group 4 National Champions. Best out of state band in the Fiesta Flambeau parade in San Antonio, Texas in 2005. Central Jersey Champions Group 4. Group III NJ State Champions and Chapter I champions for the since 1991 (excluding this one due to circut change) Acclaimed everywhere from Texas to California to the North Eastern seaboard, and even Quebec. We even went to Europe(UK) many years ago.

Don't trash the golden sash, or you're tires will get slashed!

(hehe... favorite Marching band line... We have extremely traditional uniforms... white pants, brown jacket, with a golden sash sewed to it. Like I said, extremely traditional...)

Ryebeach

Justin posted on his message board as soon as the word came down. Prior to that, I'd been hearing news items that FOX was thinking of ending the show but it wasn't until Justin posted his message that it actually struck me; MITM was really ending and there wasn't going to be a new season come fall. It was a sad day, for sure.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
@J- Lol, calm down! When I said when they loose, I was just using an metaphor..or analogy...or similie...or whatever. ;D
@Mike- That mass email we got from either Sam(or David I think it was) was when I first heard the news, and like I said earlier, it ruined my night and made the next two weeks pretty crappy.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
metaphors, similes and analogies.... haha...

It was an mass email from david. I think it was one of his final acts...lol.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Sorry I ruined your life Tony. ;D I guess I was upset but not really surprised. Anyone that's been following my posts for the last few years knows I kind of predicted season 7 would be the last. Not only was Malcolm due to graduate high school, but Frankie's contract was due to expire and there was no way Fox would be willing to pay him more--and Frankie would want more because--and I'm not trying to Frankie-bash here--he has gotten greedy over the course of MITM.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
A very sad and unlucky day indeed (it was Friday the 13th). :-[ :-[ I was acutally on the forum when Tyno (from Malcolm France) posted that Malcolm had been canceled and I had to read it a few times cause I couldn't believe it. Like Sam said, the rest of season 7 was bitter sweet. I was looking forward to every new episode, but with the passing of each we were just one step closer to the end. Let me stop now, I'm depressing myself. :'(