Favorite Birthday episode

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
I got to thinking about it, and I realized how good some of the birthday episodes are! I just wanted to ask what your favorite is! The birthday episodes that come to my mind are:
1. Lois's Birthday
2. Forwards Backwards(Malcolm's Birthday)
3. Hal's Birthday
4. Baby part 1(Dewey's Birthday)
5. Morp(Jamie's Birthday during the Lois/Hal/Dewey plot)

My personal favorite would have to be "Hal's Birthday" because it just showed the classic birthday at the Wilkerson house...dysfunctional and not a happy occasion. ;D
Oh, and yes, I realized that on "Baby" it is not, technically, Dewey's birthday, but it's still a birthday plot, so it's included.

reese35

Hal's Birthday - a Wilkerson family occasion in its purest dysfunctional form. l0l

It was pretty sweet, too, when Piama snapped and threw that bucket of water on Lois. That reaction on her face... l0l And Hal made it funnier by throwing one on Piama. ;D ;D ;D

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Lol, I loved that! And when Hal threw that cake thing in Piama's face, Hal had this expression right afterwards of complete suprise(Im guessing at himself)! ;D Bryan was the master of those facial expressions, which is what made so many MITM episodes(such as that one) so great! ;D

reese35

And not just facial - even character impersonation. We noticed that more often in "Mono" - Dangerfield, Leno, Schwarzenegger, Jack Nicholson, Clark Gable... And he did a few more on continuity cold opens (Previously on "Malcolm in the Middle"...)

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Do you have a clip of Bryan impersonating Brad Garrett at the Emmys(I think I got that guys name right...the guy from Ray Romano's show)? ;D

yardgames

Retired Administrator
You two really have quite the conversations together. ;D I loved Lois' Birthday because the scene at the end with the clown fight is one of the best scenes in all of MITM. Certainly one of the most memorable and it really shows that even though the family is incredibly dysfunctional, they are still a family. That's one of the gems of MITM.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
What made the clown fight all the more great is that song that was playing(You Decorated My Life); although supposed to be sentimental, I had a hard time finding it as such when this outrageous but hilarious fight was going on between Hal/the boys and a bunch of clowns. ;D

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I think the contrast was part of the idea--the MITM crew always loved contrast like that. And it always worked out really well too.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
My other favorite birthday episode was "Forwards Backwards" because of:
1. Reese/Malcolm's plot
2. Hal's plot
This episode was great because of the simple back and forth battle between Malcolm and Reese(I LOVE that quirky tune it played at each of their little "fight" sequences ;D), and the other great thing was Hal's quest to get Malcolm a birthday gift from the comic book shop! What made that so funny was they took something as mudane and simple as getting a comic book for your son's birthday and twisted it into Hal having to do all kinds of crud(including enlisting Craig's help) just to get the comic book. ;D

punkygrl5

Yea, Forwards Backwards' Reese/Malcolm plot was awsome yet nothing can beat the laughs you get watching Hal and the boys fight a bunch of clowns - its just genius! ;D

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Indeed, that's one of my favorite scenes in the entire series. It's emotional and funny at the same time in a style only MITM can manage.

qwerty

Forwards Backwards: Its just such a fresh, inventive episode. But Hal's birthday would be a second choice