There is any character you hate in Mitm?

Malcolm

Its funny; Malcolm in the Middle is filled with horrible people (Granma Ida, Lavernia, for start), but I dont hate any of them!!
In other shows there are characters I can´t stand, but I can´t remember any in Malcolm. :p

cast.jpg

Hendrix

Grandma Ida...can't stand her.

Or Lavernia. I hate that woman. But, I hate the entire Alaska storyline.

admin

Retired Administrator
You ask an inocent question here, but expect some rather controversial replies :D

Personally I haven't found a character that I hate particulary, I enjoy the annoying ones as much as those that are aren't annoying.

If I had to choose, I would say Dewey's little friend on Hot Tub who then abondoned him, he was very annoying.

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
I do't really hate anyone, but rather disliked Justin and Circus, Francis's season 1-2 frends, it's just that...it's hard to explain, it's more that grow up with a very strict grandfather which was in the Navy, WW2. He a real rule person, so thats the way I am. And by the way, he fought in the pacific.;) :D

Hendrix

I don't really like the "miserable" humor. Why are we supposed to laugh at bad things that are happening to likeable people?

allison

I don´t really hate anyone, but if i had to answer that question I would say Nicki. I don´t know why, probably because she´s pretty bitchy and self-centered (in my opinion):D

@Hendrix:

Interesting point, I never thought about that. I actually don´t like the show because bad things happen to likeable people but because it´s fun and I can relate to the characters. I think one of the things that make the characters so likeable IS that they aren´t that perfect and that bad things happen to them. I think as long as not really bad things happen to them (e.g I don´t think that people found "Reese joins the army" very funny) it´s not that bad. I have to admit I found it funny when Malcolm wiped off his tears with a leaf from a poison oak. (Maybe I´m just mean). :D

Emrysgirl

In response to the original Q:
No, I don't really hate anyone. I find Craig annoying, but I don't hate him. I liked the characters of Lavernia and Ida. This is a welcom contrast. In most other shows, there is at least one person I absolutely despise eg. everyone:mad: in Everybody Loves Raymond, Heather Locklear (don't remember her character's name):Sick: in Scrubs, etc.

In response to Hendix's comment:
What other kind of humor is there?:confused:

Good things happening to good people is naieve and just not funny.

Bad things happening to bad people isn't funny b/c there is a high risk of it being taken as a statement or a seriose cause.

Good things happening to bad people is used in MitM and other shows as a side story. But it too gets boring after a while as the humor lies in the concept rather than in the "good things". And, believe it or not, whenever (alright, usually when) something good happens to someone, something bad happens to someone else.

Besides, you musn't split things into the absolutes of good and bad. The characters, as allison pointed out, are flawed. Think of all the horrible things they have done to others. The plots usually revolve around strange, not bad, things happening to the characters as a response to the strange things they do.

Dewey

Minimalistic
I found Jessica (Stereo Store and Pearl Harbor) somewhat annoying. I wouldn't say I hated the character though. Hatred is quite a strong term - I don't think I could apply it to any part of MITM.

Hendrix

Okay, let me rephrase that. Why are we supposed to laugh at bad people doing bad things to good people?!?!? It just puzzles me.

I mean, the four Alaskan boys obsessing over a string. That was funny.

Francis being yelled at by Lavernia with her horrible little screechy voice. Not funny.

q46291

The sad (and amusing) thing about Malcolm's character is that he is supposed to be pessimistic and a complainer. In most cases, Frankie Muniz does a good job portraying the character. So if people really hate Malcolm for the way he is, they may in fact appreciate Frankie's acting. Who knows?

Squeaky Yugi

Most of the character are good, but I can't stand when they phase out characters. I'm talking about Piama and Gretchen. They were interesting at first and had their moments throughout the series. However, when I saw their roles in "Vegas" I knew that the writers were getting tired of them. After that, they became background characters and soon didn't appear at all.

The character I wish would disappear is Mrs. Griffin from "Old Mrs. Old" She was overly mean to Malcolm and only escalated the situation, eventually causing a bad ending for him. I don't like it when Malcolm's plot ends bad for him, especially when he didn't do anything.

vinnymonster

I dont hate any of them, but if Ida or Lavernia were real people, and I met them, I would hate them.

BTW, when Francis left those musical christmas cards hidden all over Ida's house, now that was inspired :D