Principal Block played by different actor in Season 5

Amigo22

Super Moderator
The other day I was going through my season 5 episodes on VHS. One was 1/2 way through "Dirty Magazine" from Season 5, where Principal Block was declaring all extra-curricular activities cancelled because of the explicit content in the magazine. He was played by a different actor. Did anyone else pick up on that?

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Who was principal Block played by before?
And the guy who played him in "Dirty Magazine" is Kurtwood Smith, better known as Red Foreman from "That 70's Show" ! :)

PBUNDY

I don't ever remember the principal being in another episode prior to Dirty Magazine. Which episode was it in?

Murph

I don't remember him appearing before it, either. And, was he really called Principal BLOCK :Bomb: ?

ReMoss85

I think I know the non-Dirty Magazine guy you're talking about, the one who introduced Malcolm at graduation, but I'm not sure he is supposed to be the principal. I don't know what else he would be since he's seemingly been in so many episodes. Superintendant maybe?

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I would offer this to the discussion: there are very few episodes in which the principal is explicitly referred to as Principal Block. In seasons 1-3 it should be a different guy because Malcolm went to a different school. So the guy in Busey's Take a Hostage should also be different. As I haven't been to a graduation ceremony, I can't say who introduces the valedictorian, but I would guess that it probably is the superintendant.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
In the episode guide at TV.com he is credited as Principal Block, even though he's played by a different actor.

Sam, I'm talking about Season 5, and Malcolm was in High School :D

ReMoss - it was the Principal who introduced Malcolm's speech. as he was also in Malcolm Defends Reese and Lois Strikes Back.

ReMoss85

Amigo22 said:
ReMoss - it was the Principal who introduced Malcolm's speech. as he was also in Malcolm Defends Reese and Lois Strikes Back.
I have done my research. Kurtwood Smith played "Principal Block," (Dirty Magazine) while Steve Vinovich played either "Principal" or "Mr. Hodges" depending on the episode (Graduation, Malcolm Defends Reese, and so forth). So they are different characters, but both principals at the same school. Did Block quit or get fired after the Dirty Magazine incident? I forget. But the real question is, did Mr. Hodges make any appearances before Dirty Magazine?

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Wait a minute, how do we know that the man in "Graduation" and "Malcolm defends Reese" even WAS the principal? He may have been VICE principal. :D