Stash

In the episode Stilts, it is revealed that Francis "stashed" away Lois's belongings before he was sent off to military school. The scene showing this does not use other actors for Malcolm, Reese, and Dewey, but instead shows them from 6 years before. So, my question is, when was that scene originally supposed to show up in an episode?

reese35

My intuition is as good now as it was the minute that eppy aired - recycled footage of the boys from "Smunday" with a new scene of Francis and Lois duking it out. Nowhere in the series do you get that scene. Just FYI.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
I only saw "Stilts" for the first time the other night, and I already knew from reading the analysis thread on here that it was from "Smunday". IMO it was better that they used an unaired clip from an old episode instead of different actors. They should have done that with other flashback clips too.

Alle

I thought using recycled footage was a better idea than casting a younger group of kids that looked nothing like the boys, as what we saw with the flashback scene in "Graduation" a year later. Other than that, the production team probably shouldn't bother with flashbacks. We would have taken their word for what happened, what choice do we have?