Hal's Advice

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Certainly Hal isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but if one has watched closely over the last seven years, one could pick up quite a bit of wise advice from this father. In Reese Joins the Army, he told Malcolm to "always have a song in your heart," and reminded the boys, "If you write an angry letter, hold onto it for a day; you might not feel the same in the morning." And in Stevie in the Hospital, he said to Malcolm, "Sometimes all you need to say is hello." His piece of advice to Francis on his 21st birthday in No Motorcycles was to "always pick battles that are big enough to matter but small enough to win." What other advice have you gathered from Hal over the years?

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Well, not really a piece of advice, per se, but instead I realize how great of a dad Hal really is. He loves all the boys so much, and I think alot of real life dads should strive to be like Hal.:)

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Oh, definitely. He might not have worked on Saturdays, but he makes so many sacrifices for the family--sacrifices the boys don't even seem to realize.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
Interesting thread.

In Emancipation he tells Francis "All I'm saying is to get your diploma first, then do what you want. It's about maximising your options. Taking the long road."