Help with phpbb

theblinddevil

I hope this is on the right board, i just needed some hlep with my forums. I have finally installed the phpbb forums using ODBC (MS access). When i went to the forums i got this error :

Warning: odbc_exec(): SQL error: [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Too few parameters. Expected 1., SQL state 07001 in SQLExecDirect in C:\Program Files\Abyss Web Server\htdocs\forums\db\msaccess.php on line 120
message_die() was called multiple times. This isn't supposed to happen. Was message_die() used in page_tail.php?

I have no clue what that means if anyone knows of how i can fix this i would be greatfull!!

yardgames

Retired Administrator
This board used to be phpBB, and then David upgraded to vBulletin because phpBB isn't real wonderful.

However, I'll try to help you anyway.

How are you installing the software? It sounds like you're trying to install it to your hard drive because it can't find the file on C:\. You need to install it to your web server, and your server must support PHP and mySQL. If you have cPanel, I strongly recommend installing it through that. It's normally under Scripts Library or Bulletin Board.

admin

Retired Administrator
I personally don't like Microsoft run servers, they are a little bit on the dogey side when it comes to PHP, it is always recommended that you have a Linux server when running PHP scripts it is so much more stable.

Anyway, make sure that phpBB can actually be run on a Windows server, not all PHP scripts can. Plus did you remember to CHMOD the right stuff, i don't think you have to do this with Windows Servers but do it anyway.

Also remember to edit the config file to the correct settings, if all else fails go to the phpbb forums and ask for help.

I used to have phpbb, it is very good, and could be made better than vbulletin, especially as everything is free and there are so many hacks. But vbulletin starts off with most of my desired hacks installed already. phpbb is so basic, that you need to modify it so much before its perfect

Anyway good luck, and if all else fails clear the database, download phpbb again and start a fresh. :D

yardgames

Retired Administrator
You might want to consider some free web hosting for your forums, as well. You may find it's easier to use then, and there's plenty of good free hosts out there. Just go to www.clickherefree.com and click the Free Host Search tab.

admin

Retired Administrator
out of interest, how do you make you PC a webserver, can I do it without purchasing anything extra, I mean if my PC can act as a webserver then I can give people the files they desire so much regarding MITM :D

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I was going to do it at one time, but I think there's more serious reprecussions. For example, you're exposing your hard drive to the entire world. Even if it's not on the shared folder, or even in the same computer, you've just made it a whole lot easier for hackers to get to you.

Also, you have to get the approval of your ISP. A friend of mine had a rather large bill and a permanent increase of $30 (something like 60 Euro I think) when his ISP found out he had made his own server without telling him. ($30 is the normal charge; the extra bill was for the secrecy.)

Also, you need to get some kind of IP address service (maybe that's what zoneedit does) so that your IP doesn't change, otherwise that defeats the whole purpose.

David (or anyone else) joining our Grouper group is a much easier way to share MITM files. Arach, tjpeople, zmaster, and myself have used it with great success for a few weeks now. Join our group at http://grouper.com/groups/?id=91038 after you download Grouper at www.grouper.com (didn't you already apply David?)

admin

Retired Administrator
No I haven't had the time to apply yet, and as I have all the episodes anyway, I can't say I am in a hurry to join. I might though, just not for a while :D

Amigo22

Super Moderator
yardgames said:
David (or anyone else) joining our Grouper group is a much easier way to share MITM files. Arach, tjpeople, zmaster, and myself have used it with great success for a few weeks now. Join our group at http://grouper.com/groups/?id=91038 after you download Grouper at www.grouper.com (didn't you already apply David?)
Yardgames just FYI I submitted an invite request to join, if you haven't received it already.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
Grouper is great, it's the best file sharing program I've used, far better than Kazaa. If you haven't already, you should definitely get it and join the MITM group. :)