Dewey's candy

ReMoss85

Remember when Dewey couldn't eat candy in Company Picnic because he would go nuts? He must have outgrown that by the time he got the cotton candy machine.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Most definitely not. In Lois' Sister, he also went crazy. He filled the whole garage with cotton candy, and then was more than happy to eat his way out, remember? Dewey and candy has been an ongoing problem. Even at the end of Lois' Birthday, when everyone else was fighting the clowns, Dewey stole the cake and ate it under the picnic table.

Well, he's obviously shown some improvement. In Company Picnic he acted like a rabid animal when he found candy to eat, but in Lois's Sister he actually surrounded himself with cotton candy before eating it...

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Yeah, he did go a little nuts with filling up the entire garage with cotton candy! At least he didn't act like he had gone totally insane though. :D I think the whole "sugar high" thing is mainly psychological anyway. My nieces start getting hyper even when they think they're going to get candy--before they ever eat the first bite.

Murph

I have never in my life, not even as a young kid, got hyper on sugar. I was always hyper, but the sugar never intensified the hyperness for me. One episode of MITM, when Reese says he get hyper after "half a can of Cola" really annoyed me, I know it seems weird, but I just can't understand, not even if it's spelt out for me using basic science, how people go nuts when they eat a little, or even a lot of sugar.

*Ends rant*

Emrysgirl

yardgames said:
Even at the end of Lois' Birthday, when everyone else was fighting the clowns, Dewey stole the cake and ate it under the picnic table.

Good catch!

What about in Block Party when Reese got all that candy? I don't remember Dewey reacting to it, but I'm not sure.

Emrysgirl

yardgames said:
I don't know that Dewey even knew about it--it was sort of Reese's secret weapon.

What secret weapon? And I'm sure Dewey saw it b/c remember, Reese gets caught in the garage door and they start using him as a pinata and the candy falls out.

Murph

yardgames said:
Maybe you just don't realize you had sugar highs but indeed actually did?

I really, really didn't, when I say I was always hyper, I mean full of energy, and sugar only gives you a large, but short-lasting "up" (apparently), whilst mine lasted all day, and I didn't go about eating suagr ALL day.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
@Murph-About your comment earlier...do you know how much sugar is in half a can of Coke?:D One can is something around 46 grams of sugar, so half a can is still 23 grams of sugar. That's alot.:D
Anyways, Dewey mainly got over his sugar/candy problem. By season 6 and 7 it didn't bother him. Like in the episode(forget the name at the sec) where Francis inducts Dewey into the "brotherhood" and gives him the cookie. The Dewey of old wouldve eaten the cookie and gone sugar crazy, but in that episode, Dewey didn't even care about the cookie(he called it "a crappy cookie", as a matter of fact).:D

yardgames

Retired Administrator
39 grams, actually. I have a Coke can in front of me. :D You're right, though, I guess Dewey kind of did begin to outgrow that candy addiction near the end of the series.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
While we're on the discussion of sugar in soft drinks--I recently heard/read (don't remember which) that people who drink regular soda, as opposed to diet, gain around 10 lbs a year from it. :eek: It was based on the natural average from some kind of nutritional study. As Tony said, regular sodas are loaded with sugar (and calories.)

yardgames

Retired Administrator
True, but it really depends how much you actually drink. For instance, I only have one soda a day, at most. Now we're completley off-topic with me making excuses for drinking soda but the point is that you don't automatically gain ten lbs. a year just as a result of drinking soda. If I've gained like three pounds in the last two or three years, that's about it.

cadetspangler

I don't think his "candy addiction" thing in Company Picnic exists in the other episodes. He ate a candy bar in Smunday w/o going crazy, and was around cake and ice cream in Hal's birthday without going crazy, um, what else? He had Ice cream in Long Drive, Mrs. Tri county, Book Club, Evacuation, Jessica stays over, and probably some others...he found an M&M in polly in the middle and didn't go crazy over it...he didn't go crazy when Lois said she'd make him cookies in Buseys Run Away...He was at a table with cake in Kitty's back and Hal sleepwalks...oh, he also had ice cream at the ranch in Malcolm's job...he was calmly eating gummy eels in Sleepover...

To contradict, he did try to sneak stuff from a dessert cart in dinner out and went crazy over some chocolate frosting in sleepover...and went crazy after drinking sodas in "The bots and the bees"

Is it sad I know practically episode-for-episode what Dewey has eaten?