Music in MitM

After embarking on my mission to view every Malcolm in the Middle episode (only one left to go: Humilithon), I came to notice the importance of music in the series. Although the storylines are great and would probably suffice if left alone, it really adds to a scene when a perfect musical piece plays in the background. What are everyone else's thoughts on this, and while we're at it, favorite songs from the series?

Also, does anyone know what song is in the background when Ida jumps in front of a truck to save Dewey in Ida Loses a Leg?

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Great thread, Benny! :) (You mind if I call you that; I like having nicknames for people. :D) Music is INCREDIBLY important in the show! Hence the reason why they couldn't just rip it out and sell the other seasons on DVD without music. Humilithon seems like an odd episode to miss, out of all of them, but it's a good one--enjoy it. :)

To get back on topic here, the people that choose the music for the show make some incredible choices that really convey an incredible amount of emotion without us even needing to see the scene. If someone just told you what was happening while a given song was playing, you wouldn't miss a single detial. It really compliments the actors' excellent abilities to portray emotions so well--especially Frankie and Bryan. At the end of Lois' Birthday, for example--one of the greatest scenes of the series--all the sound is muted completely, save for the music, and the scene is absolutely brilliant. Music helps to simplify the scene and add character and emotion to it at the same time in few ways other shows, especially sitcoms, can manage.

Benny is fine, I guess.

Speaking of DVD releases, are those...umm...ever going to happen?

Apparently in starting this thread, I forgot to mention my favorite song. Coincidentally also in Ida Loses a Leg, it's the one that plays during the superglue plot. Every time a new event happens (such as Reese opening the door to confront Malcolm and Stevie), another part begins to play, which seems to really help the scenes.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
I agree, it was brilliant how they muted the sound at the end of Lois's birthday. If they had kept the sound along with the music, I don't think the scene would have been nearly as memorable.

As for the dvd's, we recently receive the bad news from a member of the MITM crew that the dvd's will probably never be released. We can still hope, but it's doubtful that it'll ever happen.

Here's the thread I'm referencing: http://www.malcolminthemiddle.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1595&page=3

Nico21

I totally agree, music is a really important part in MITM.

Most of the musics perfectly fit with the scenes, that's a thing I enjoyed in the series.

but I couldn't do a list of my favourites, they were about all good !