New film role for Bryan Cranston

Ryebeach

New film role for Bryan...

Bryan Cranston appears in the film, Little Miss Sunshine, which is currently playing in select cities. His role is a supporting one in the film. The film stars Greg Kinnear, Alan Arkin, Toni Collette and Steve Carrell and was a big hit at this years Sundance Film Festival back in January.

Bryan does not appear in the trailer but you can check it out here: http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/littlemisssunshine/ - Looks like a very funny movie. :)

A bit of trivia about this film: Beth Grant who appeared in the recurring role as Dabney's mother on MITM appears in this film as a Pageant Official.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Re: New film role for Bryan...

As always, thanks for the news update, Rye. Unfortunately, it's not showing in Big Town Green Bay. :( Is it coming to DVD or anything like that?

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Thanks for the update Rye. That's great news for Bryan. I don't think it's going to be playing in my area either though. Any word on how his play is doing?

Ryebeach

yardgames said:
As always, thanks for the news update, Rye. Unfortunately, it's not showing in Big Town Green Bay. :( Is it coming to DVD or anything like that?
It's unfortunatly not playing near me either but I'm hoping it will expand to more cities in the weeks ahead and I'll be able to see it then. At this point, there's no DVD release scheduled as of yet.
Wildcat said:
Thanks for the update Rye. That's great news for Bryan. I don't think it's going to be playing in my area either though. Any word on how his play is doing?
Bryan's play concluded its run on July 30th. I didn't read too many reviews of his play so I'm not sure how well received it was.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
YES! Bryan is still acting!:) Thanks for the news, Rye! I certainly hope Bryan comes back to acting on tv full time(and if so, I hope he gets on a good show).:)

Ryebeach

tony_montana said:
YES! Bryan is still acting!:) Thanks for the news, Rye! I certainly hope Bryan comes back to acting on tv full time(and if so, I hope he gets on a good show).:)
I hope so too, Tony. It would be great to see Bryan in another series. He can do drama as well as comedy so maybe for a change, a good dramatic role would be cool. :)

I finally was able to locate a theater within driving distance of my city which was playing Little Miss Sunshine so I went to see it yesterday. Bryan's character, Stan Grossman, is central to the plot of the film and is referred to multiple times in the first half of the movie, however, he only appears in two scenes. The movie was apparently shot during the summer hiatus of MITM in June/July of 2005. I have to say, I didn't see Bryan as Hal in his role in ths film, something I was wondering about going into the film. One main reason, I guess, was because Bryan had a beard in this film but also, his voice is a little different in this film. It's deeper and seeing him in this role, reminded me how great of a character actor he is. He can fit into just about any type of role and make it work. :)

As for the film, I very much enjoyed it. It's a great comedy-drama and it was sad, touching, and funny, all at once. In the end, the film has a great message, similar to MITM: At the end of the day, all you have is family and while often it's hard to realize and even admit, they are the ones who are there for you no matter what.

A good film, I do recommend it.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I'll have to try and find it. Netflix has it in its inventory so maybe I can get a hold of it when it comes to DVD.

Reesegurl

Thats brilliant news!:D Bryan is such a good actor, I hope after this he'll be in loads more!

I heard of that film but if its not even showing everywhere over there yet, it definitly won't be here foe a long time. Is'nt Steve Carrell the man in 'The 40yr. old virgin'?:confused:

Ryebeach

Reesegurl said:
I heard of that film but if its not even showing everywhere over there yet, it definitly won't be here foe a long time. Is'nt Steve Carrell the man in 'The 40yr. old virgin'?:confused:
Yep, Steve Carrell also starred in the film, "The 40 year old virgin" and currently stars in the US version of the tv series, "The Office." :)

AlexTheMartian

oh, I been wanting to see this movie. I have download the trailer the end of last month, and actually it has been in Los Angeles since July 29 i think, but I was on vacation at the time, and since then i been too buzy.

It looks like an awesome movie. it looks like the bizzare type of humor that i would enjoy, and it has great actors. Good music too, the song on the trailer i think was The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song by The Flaming Lips.

I also really really love watching disfunctional familes, lol.

I just attended a screening of The Ant Bully yesterday, and i think later today or tomorrow ill see this movie.

Ryebeach

AlexTheMartian said:
oh, I been wanting to see this movie. I have download the trailer the end of last month, and actually it has been in Los Angeles since July 29 i think, but I was on vacation at the time, and since then i been too buzy.

It looks like an awesome movie. it looks like the bizzare type of humor that i would enjoy, and it has great actors. Good music too, the song on the trailer i think was The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song by The Flaming Lips.

I also really really love watching disfunctional familes, lol.

I just attended a screening of The Ant Bully yesterday, and i think later today or tomorrow ill see this movie.
My favorite type of films are these types of comedy-dramas with dysfunctional families. They really put together an amazing cast for this film and each of them have some powerful, yet funny scenes. I was wondering what the name of that song from the trailer was...I'm pretty sure it's used in the film also.

Let us know what you think of the movie after you see it, Alex.

simon_4420

I want to see this, I read a review a while ago and it sounds really good, but it doesn't come out until the 8th Sept over here, and then I've got to find a cinema that is showing it...... But I think I will make the effort to see Bryan in something other than MITM:)

AlexTheMartian

eh, I am am still trying to catch up on my movie watching. I instead saw Pirates of the Caribbean 2 yesterday, well because I haven't seen it and my roommate who I went with did not want to spend money for a movie ticket watching a comedy, and rather see a big action film. He said he wouldn't mind seeing Little Miss Sunshine, but rather see an action film, so I guess I'll go some time this week, or this weekend... eventually.

AlexTheMartian

Yes! I just saw Little Miss Sunshine. I found it super funny, I was actually laughing out loud and so was the rest of the audience. I am definitely going to buy the DVD when it comes out so I can show it to all my friends. I do got to say though, you wont be able to tell from the name of the movie, but it is rated R, but don't worry no nudity, lol.

I think this will be a cult classic, like Clerks, do you think so? It might get more of it popularity from being on DVD though, since this movie's oppening dates are all different, so it is not doing that well on the box office chart.

First of all, for those who saw it, you remember the chicken bucket from the beginning? That is actually from a local chicken restaurant that was RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE THEATER, :eek: LOL. Dinah's Fried Chicken. One of the perks of being from Los Angeles, you notice the stuff in many movies since they are located in L.A. People laughed when they saw the chicken because they knew the restaurant was right across the street. And my roommate said he did saw a film crew there one day, lol. But I told him they did not film there they only used the chicken. And I have never been there, but I might pick up a bucket sometime.

I loved how this movie was non-stop, just one thing after the other, and great characters and cinematography.

This movie reminded me of Malcolm In The Middle, especially the episode at the race track, where Hal kicks the security guard and they start running.

The directors of this film is a married couple by the name of Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris, and they have done the current HP commercials on TV, the ones where you see a person's hands/arms move around and they pull and drag graphics around that magically appear on the screen. The first one I saw was Shawn White, who is a popular snowboarder from the Olympics, and whom I am a fan of. To see the commercial, as well as other videos as well as music videos they made (my favorite being The Smashing Pumpkins - 1979), click here.

AlexTheMartian

also, an update about the music of Little miss Sunshine (I really love music, I want to make music videos). On the trailer, the first half is "The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song" by The Flaming Lips, and the second half is "Chicago" by Sufjan Stevens. Both are mostly instrumental with only the choruses.

Most of the rest of the music in the movie is from Devotchka & Mychael Danna, annother Sufjan Stevens song "No Man's Land", and the song durring Olive's dance I think was "Superfreak" by Rick James

All of that, except for "The Flaming Lips - The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song", is on the Little Miss Sunshine Soundtrack which is in stores now, also on iTunes Music store

Oh, and the brother of the girl who played Olive (she was also on Signs, annother of my fav movies) was talking on the MySpace group for Little Miss Sunshine which was cool

..... you can tell this is my favorite film ever, lol

Ryebeach

I went to see this film again tonight, which I often do with movies in theaters as I usually end up missing some part of a film the first time around. With this film, it turned out to be the music that I missed on first viewing. Tonight, I really picked up on the amazing soundtrack that this film has. It really is perfect and sets the tone for the entire movie from the very first scene straight through till the end credits. Thanks for the info on the music, Alex. :) I think I will pick up the soundtrack to this one.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
What do you miss in movies the first time? And how can you afford to go to the theatre twice? I can't afford to go once. :D You must be a highly successful doctor. :) Anyway, I've been hearing that the film is finally opening in Green Bay so I may have to go and check it out. I've heard some pretty rave reviews for it, not just on these boards. I wonder why they didn't open it everywhere at the same time?

Ryebeach

yardgames said:
What do you miss in movies the first time? And how can you afford to go to the theatre twice? I can't afford to go once. :D You must be a highly successful doctor. :) Anyway, I've been hearing that the film is finally opening in Green Bay so I may have to go and check it out. I've heard some pretty rave reviews for it, not just on these boards. I wonder why they didn't open it everywhere at the same time?
Sam, I'm not a Doctor, I just work in a Doctor's office doing Administrative work. :)

Well, I don't see every movie a second time but for good movies which really hold my attention and that I enjoy, I do try and go twice. I almost always pick up on things I missed the first time. Often it's not the music, as was the case with Little Miss Sunshine but it's usually some visuals, such as background happenings or bits of dialogue or things of that nature. :)

I'm glad it's opening in more areas around the country. I hope you get to see it. It's very funny but also has a good message to it about family as well as a lot of heart. :) I'm not sure exactly why it didn't open up everywhere at the same time. My guess is that FOX Searchlight wanted to see how ticket sales went and try and expand on word of mouth before opening in too many markets. That's just a guess though, I'm not really sure. :confused:

AlexTheMartian

It has great reviews, on the site RottenTomatoes.com, which is a site that rates movies, Little Miss Sunshine actualy got a 93% rating from critics (from 140 total reviews) and a 93% rating from users of the site (from 80 total reviews). It is currently beating any movie out this summer, except the documentory Wordplay which got 95%

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Ryebeach said:
Sam, I'm not a Doctor, I just work in a Doctor's office doing Administrative work.
smile.gif

Oh, I thought you were old and wise. So you're just old? :D:D

There are really very few things that I can watch twice--I hate watching shows as reruns on TV, with the exception of MITM and a new show I've found this summer entitled Kyle XY. Other than that, I generally like to watch things once and then let it all seep in and just sort of think about it internally rather than view it again. It does indeed sound like Little Miss Sunshine is a good movie though. I'll have to try and get to the theatre to see it.