The crappier "lessons" of Hal/Lois

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Ok, so we have discussed the good lessons and such that Hal and Lois have passed on to the boys, but now let's talk about the bad/crappy lessons they gave the boys.:D
HAL:
1) When he told Dewey he lied to his doctor to get prescription drugs.;) "You see Dewey, I lied to my doctor to get drugs.":D
2) He taught the boys that if they fought another guy, the...uh...balls were fair game.:D
3) It's ok to run from the law(Stock Car Races, Garage Sale).:D
4) It's ok to attack a cop(Stock Car Races).:D

LOIS:
1) It's ok to get revenge on a "inconsiderate" person(Hal's Christmas Gift...the car scene).:D

I can't think of another one for Lois. She didn't teach the boys many "bad lessons" as far as I can think.:) Anyways, add any you can think of!

Nico21

When Lois lost her job because Dewey stole an expensive bottle of alcohol, she asked him what lesson he could take from what happened, and he answered something like "if you do something bad, don't tell it".
Of course Lois disagreed, but this scene was funny !

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I've been trying to think of items that fit this category, but I've sort of been drawing a blank. I kind of keep threads like this in the back of my mind and reply after I've watched a few episodes and get a couple of ideas. :)

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
2) He taught the boys that if they fought another guy, the...uh...balls were fair game.

A lesson that Reese later passed onto Craig in Living Will. :D

It's Ok to make a complete fool of yourself if it means that you'll fit in with the crowd (Stereo Store)

It's OK to ditch work once a week and go do something fun (Reese joins the Army Part II)

It's OK to accept bribes, even if you have no intentions of following through (College Recruiters)

It's OK to steal money from someone to "protect" them and "invest it" in something you "really need" like a boat...but only as long as you say that you'll pay them back...some day. (Malcolm's Money)

LOIS:

It's not only okay, but it's absolutely necessary to get revenge on someone who makes fun of you (Lois Strikes Back)

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Well, do you think that it is a good idea to make pigs out of milk cartons if you can't stand your life and feel like you're going insane? :D

PBUNDY

Both Lois and Hal feel that every twenty years you're allowed a two-week breakdown. Is this a good or a bad thing?

yardgames

Retired Administrator
LOL good question. I think it's a good thing as long as both break-downs don't occur at the same time. The family might never "start up" again if that happened.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
In my opinion, Hal and Lois need to control themselves in front of the boys, but then have a breakdown when they are alone.:D
Im saying that because it would be a "crappy lesson" to the boys by showing them it's ok to have a breakdown. Also, it'd be unfair if they have a breakdown in front of the boys because we all know that if any of the boys had a breakdown and didn't function, Lois would jump on them about not doing something about it and such.
Oh, and Sam, about your question(the milk cartons question)...I guess I see your point.:D

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I think there's two kinds of breakdowns here. There's the type of breakdown that Hal had in Hal Quits that's sort of impossible to hide from the boys--I mean, they didn't know he blew off work on Fridays, but how could he keep from them that he actually quit work?

And then there's the type of breakdown that Hal had in the car when he thought he was alone in Ida Sues. Both parents also occassionally have those types of breakdowns, but both also do a relatively good job of at least attempting to hide them from the boys.