What did Lois do before working at the Lucky Aid?

yardgames

Retired Administrator
In Health Insurance, you'll recall that Craig was throwing a party for Lois' tenth anniversary of working at the Lucky Aid. That means Malcolm would have been 17; ten years ago, he only would have been seven (he was eleven or twelve when the series started) so that's a lot of time that the family was together that Lois wasn't actually working at the Lucky Aide. Tony mentioned in a recent thread that in Flashback, the family is actually portrayed as being financially healthy (to some degree) until Malcolm is born. So did Lois have a more secure job before the Lucky Aide, or was it simply Hal's higher salary that supported the two of them?

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
I believe it was the latter. I don't think Lois worked at the time when Francis was younger. In fact, I think Lois didn't get a job until she knew she was pregnant with Dewey. Like I said in the other thread, they were ok financially until they started having more and more kids. And by the time Dewey was there, the house was, as Lois said in "Morp", a disaster.:D So yeah, Lois's first main job was Lucky Aide, I believe.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Nothing right of college? Of course, she met Hal in college right? So I suppose she could have gotten married right out of college.

patrick4488

I think she didn't work before, because as we know from some flashbacks they had money, and Hal had a better job (there was one episode where Hal told one of the boys that everyone would have his own room etc. if he would have apologized to his boss or something like that)
but we'll never know:D

Nico21

As you say it, I think Hal had a better job, but his position changed (badly) twice: first when he asked his boss for working less in order to spend more time with his family, and then when he criticized his wig.

And from what I remember of the flashbacks, I think Lois didn't work before Lucky Aid.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
And as we learn in "Company Picnic", Hal was de-moted several times for making his bosse's angry. For instance, when his new boss caught him using the copying machine to make copys of his butt:)D ), or when Hal met his other new bosse's daughter and Hal pulls her down by accident on that table and breaks her nose.:D

patrick4488

tony_montana said:
And as we learn in "Company Picnic", Hal was de-moted several times for making his bosse's angry. For instance, when his new boss caught him using the copying machine to make copys of his butt:)D ), or when Hal met his other new bosse's daughter and Hal pulls her down by accident on that table and breaks her nose.:D

I liked those flashbacks, they were awesome:D

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
I don't remember a toothpick getting stuck in her eye.:confused:
Anyways, what did Lois say was her dream "job" in one of those flashbacks? I THINK she wanted to be a violenest or something in a French opera band.:D

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Lol, it's funny how things work out...Lois wanted to be a ballerina, or a violenest in a French opera band...and what does she end up doing?
Earning minimum wage at Lucky Aide.:D

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Noo, Im pretty sure in one episode she stated she was earning minimum wage. And if she had a veteran's wage, the family shouldn't have been nearly as poor as they were.:D

Nico21

When Malcolm starts working at Lucky aide, he has a conversation with Lois about his wage, and she answers she doesn't earn a lot more than him (I think she gives her exact hour rate).

But I don't remember in which episode it was.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
That would have been Malcolm's Job. Malcolm said he was making $5.50 before he was written up and knocked down to $3.75. And Reese was making $7 something at the meat packing plant.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Sorry for getting into the real world for a second, but how can Malcolm be busted down to 3.75$?! That's alot less then minimum wage, which is illegal!:D

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Maybe it was because he was reprimanded? Maybe Lucky Aide does things illegally? Federal minimum wage for full-time students is $4.50 per hour.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
yardgames said:
In Stock Car Races, she told Caroline she wanted to be a ballerina when she was younger.

To quote my transcript for this episode:

Caroline: So, did your life turn out anything at all like you planned?

Lois: Oh, God, no. Oh, when I was a girl, I had all these crazy,
romantic dreams. I wanted to be a BlackJack dealer in an
Indian reservation. Didn't work out. Stubby thumbs.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
yardgames said:
That would have been Malcolm's Job. Malcolm said he was making $5.50 before he was written up and knocked down to $3.75. And Reese was making $7 something at the meat packing plant.

I remember that ep. Lois was having him written up for petty things :rolleyes: