The plots that never were

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Ive noticed that everyone here has at least ONE thing they think could have been added to a MITM episode. So, here we can discuss those things, such as(and I know this is a popular one):
The plot IF the krelboynes were in "Graduation". What do you guys think the plot would have been? Would they maybe have tried something similar to what Reese did, only they are trying to get back at the other people at school?
(And here's one I always think about) What plot would have occured if "Dewey's Opera" maybe was a two parter? Would Lois and Hal be ok/mad? Would the "opera" become so popular where they live that opera halls ask Dewey and the Buseys to come do the "opera" in front of a huge audience(only something funny happens, like on any MITM episode)?:)
What about you guys? Can you think of any "plots that never were" that COULD have been in a certain episode?

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Interesting question. There are a lot of plots that could have been that never were, and also plots that were suggested but never really said, or finished, on the show. If the Krelbones had of made an appearance in Morp or Graduation (or both for that matter) it would have been great to catch up on what they'd been up to for the past 3 years. :D Nothing extremely detailed to take away from the rest of the show, of course, but a mention would have been nice to tie things up. Otherwise, I guess they would have participated in the Morp or graduation ceremony as normal. As I've said before, I think Morp would have been a perfect opportunity to re-introduce them as guest stars, then have them in graduation as well since they're obviously part of Malcolm's graduating class.

Lets see, another one that I can think of right off the bat is what would have happened if Reese had stayed married? Maybe he would have quit school (hopefully not) and got a full time job to support Raduca. Or maybe she would've gotten pregnant and the thought of becomming a father totally changed his outlook for the remainder of the series. I'm so glad he didn't stay married cause, for one, I couldn't have standed to see Raduca for the rest of the series, but (shudder) what if he had? :D

Along those same lines, there are so many "unfinished" plots that are left up to the viewer to decide (one of the beauties of MITM), but I'm drawing a complete blank at the moment. :D This would also be a good time to elaborate on those and say what you think might have happened if they actually showed the results on screen.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
It would have been fun to see a couple of Krelboynes give a speech at Graduation that they think is perfect and beautiful--show them practicing, rehearsing, and asking Malcolm for help--and then they make a total fool of themselves somehow. And then Malcolm gives his perfect speech. And we hear more of the speech. As he gets going, it's interwoven with beautiful music that encourages reminiscing and we see some classic scenes in slow motion as Malcolm talks about them.

Sorry, that was kind of what I was dreaming of seeing and it never happened. :D Nice thread Tony.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
Sam - I thought they would have had classic flashback clips as well, either at the end or in place of the cold opener at the beginning. They wouldn't have had time to have the full-length clips, but a clip sequence like the "Unmitigated Disaster" sequence in "Clip Show #2" would have been good.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Yeah but I would have made the finale a double episode too. I know Bobby said it's harder to hold people's attention, but come on! It's the final episode EVER of one of the shows that helped to save the Fox network from bankruptcy and stayed on the air for seven years. That's worth commending!

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
@Sam-You are dead on about MITM saving FOX from bankruptcy, and look how they treated it in the end.:mad:
Anyways, I just saw "Living Will" earlier, and that's another one of those "plots that never were" that COULD have happened: they could have extended the story by telling us what Hal decided to do and the consequences from the guy's family that Hal has to endure.:D

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Actually, I don't think they could have. I mean, those are some pretty talented writers, but could YOU think of an alternative to life AND death? :D

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
I disagree. I think they could have pulled it off.
And an alternative? Simple. They could have equipped him with batteries and hooked up electronics to him and used him as a real "life" manaquin.:) At nights, they unplug him, so it gives the illusion he is dead.:D
You may think it's dumb, but do you remember at the end of "Living Will", Hal told Lois that they got some electronic stuff and he gave a hint they might have done something like that?;)

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Well, there you go then. :D I think this could go in "The little things that make the show great" thread--one of its greatest strengths is suggesting, but not telling. And, heck, I guess you got their drift.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
No, I think it belongs here because it could've been a part of the plot(had the episode been longer or something).:)