Stay Alive coming to DVD...

Ryebeach

Frankie's most recent film, Stay Alive, is being released on DVD on September 19, 2006. Originally the film was set to be rated R and was going to be released by Disney's theatrical subsidiary, the mainly defunct Hollywood Pictures but somewhere along the line, it was decided, presumably due to the wide array of younger cast members (Frankie, Sophia Bush from One Tree Hill, Milo Ventimiglia from Gilmore Girls, etc.) to release the film as PG-13 to attract a wider audience. It worked, at least in attracting a younger audience. The theater I saw this film in was packed with younger teenages and I was, no doubt the oldest person in the theater. The film was so-so but I could tell much was edited out from the original version.

It was recently announced that along with the PG-13 theatrical version being released on DVD this September, there will also be a Director's Cut version, with a full 15 more minutes of film. This goes to show just how much had to be edited out to get it down to a PG-13 version. I look forward to renting this longer version to see how the flow of the movie is, as originally intended by the film makers.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
You're so good to us, sharing all this news Rye. :) So let me get this straight: the theatre version was PG-13 and the DVD is going to be R?

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
No, he said that there will be TWO dvd releases, the theatrical version(pg-13) and the director's version(R). Sam, you need to learn how to read.:D ;) I kid.:)

Ryebeach

Tony's right, there will be two seperate DVD's available. :D One will be the PG-13 version, as shown in theaters earlier this year, the other, the director's cut, which is actually being released unrated.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
@Sam-There's no need to SHOUT!:D :D :D
Anyways, "Stay Alive" must have not done that well at theatres if it's coming out on dvd this early.

Ryebeach

tony_montana said:
Anyways, "Stay Alive" must have not done that well at theatres if it's coming out on dvd this early.
The film took in roughly $23 million domestically, not too great. I don't know what the budget was for this movie but I'd guess they haven't made a huge profit. The DVD sales should help, especially with this unrated director's cut being available.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Actually, I just took a look at Wikipedia(the online encyclopedia) on "Stay Alive" and the budget was only 9 million dollars, so 23 million is a pretty good profit.:) Good to see Frankie had a successful movie.

Ryebeach

tony_montana said:
Actually, I just took a look at Wikipedia(the online encyclopedia) on "Stay Alive" and the budget was only 9 million dollars, so 23 million is a pretty good profit.:) Good to see Frankie had a successful movie.
That's good, I'm glad to see the movie turned out successful. Thanks for the budget info. I would say then that the studios idea to release the film theatrically as PG-13 paid off. :)

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Yes, I read about that on Wikipedia as well(about how they decided to cut it down to pg-13). They wanted to attract a younger audience, and like you said, it worked.:)

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
I hope they'll still show this movie in cinemas over here, but with the DVD being released it becomes more and more improbable. What a shame! But I keep on hoping, L.A. Crash for example was also released on DVD in the States when it finally got shown in German cinemas.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
I hope you get to see it too Dabney. :)

Yeah, I was reading somewhere that a lot of people were upset because they "watered it down" by cutting a lot of the violent scenes out so a younger audience could see it (like they wouldn't have seen it anyway if they really wanted to :D ) That's cool that they're coming out with the original version on DVD though. I'll have to rent it when it comes out cause I didn't go see it in the theater.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Im not too much into the horror movies, but I might have to pick this one up.:)
And Dabney, how long does it take our movies to get to Deutschland?

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
It depends. Sometimes the movies start on the same date as in the USA, sometimes we have to wait like 3 months, and unfortunately some films are never shown.