College Majors

yardgames

Retired Administrator
This may not be a good international question, because I'm not entirely sure how the international university system works, but for you Americans anyway, what do you think Hal and Lois would have majored in in college?

PBUNDY

Did either Hal or Lois even go to college? My guess is that Hal would've majored in something related to business and Lois... I don't know, that's a really hard question. In Lois' Birthday, didn't she mention something about becoming a concert violinist? So, I guess Lois would've majored in music.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I believe that we know they went to college because we found out that, while Hal and Lois knew each other in high school, it was in college when they actually noticed each other and started dating.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
English literature--that's random. Elaborate. And how did Lois end up as a discount store clerk with an English literature major? :)

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Hal probably majored in stupidity.:D We know Hal went to college because in the episode where Hal has all those mini Hals around him, there was one in a college grad outfit.
And yeah, didn't Lois major in English? That makes sense, because if you watch the show where Malcolm is doing a book report on a classic book, Lois already knows all about it, like "Tale of Two Cities" and such. :)

NeCoHo

Retired Mod
Hal was Kid Charlemane in his College Days, remember? He probably majored in journalism, political sciences, or something similar to that.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Kid Charlamane! I almost forgot about that.:D Well, if you think about it, that whole kid charlamane thing only fuels my "stupidity degree" theory.:D I kid, of course.;)

Gozatron

yardgames said:
English literature--that's random. Elaborate. And how did Lois end up as a discount store clerk with an English literature major? :)

Because in an episode which i cant remeber but there a flashback of Lois at high school carring an english book. Its a flashback where someone drops trash and she throws it at them.

Lois is really intelligent, particuarly in seasons 5-7. They begin to show a lot of parallels between Malcolm and Lois. It also becomes evident where Malcolm gets most of his intelligence from. The reason she works at lucky aide is because of 'the boys', it's implied through most of the series, sort of starting at flashback.

I think, majored English Literature- she seems that sort of person fascinated by verse and prose. And minored in French (in the ep. where Reese finds Lois's diary, she mentions the fact she wants to move to France)

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Interesting theories. The whole English/Literature degrees are making a lot more sense now.

@Tony I don't know what kind of crappy colleges there are where you live but I've never heard of a stupidity degree before. :D

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Interesting question. I think that Hal probably majored in Business or something along those lines since it seems that he has a typical office job. It would have been interesting to know what his job title actually was (yet another of the show's great mysteries), but it seemed pretty run-of-the-mill and boring from what we saw of it.

I think that Lois probably didn't finish college--likely because she got pregant with Francis. She probably got the job at the Lucky Aid because they needed the money, intending to return to college when they could afford it, then along comes Reese. I think if she had a college degree, she would have at least been promoted to some kind of management position and not just been a cashier. I like the idea of a major in English Lit though. It seems to fit her and we've seen instances on the show where it seems like she knows a lot about it--as others have pointed out.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Actually, now that I think about it, Hal probably majored in electronics. He made that robot in "Bots and the bees", he made the baseball throwing machine in "Lois Strikes Back", he got the microwave to work without the door in "Malcolm Defends Reese",:D etc.
So Hal isn't a bumbling moron after all.:D

Hal, will probably have changed majors every couple of months. His shown as a very indecisive character- (you may be starting to notice, that I don't really know any of the episode names, however, can make vague descriptions) the episode where Hal is given the decision to turn off a life support machine. Also the fact, Hal goes through various phases of liking different things.

Gozatron

I also just realisedthat in the "Graduation" ep Lois explains to Malcolm that he cant have the easy way out and he has to bust his ass working and still being looked down on by others. This explains that Lois must have accomplished big things but was still looked down on so i think she got a major degree and a good college

Also

I guessed about English Literature and now everyone agrees :p

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
It's a wonder Lois alone didn't get the family rich. In fact, I think her intelligence was suppressed through the whole show. Just think about it....Malcolm probably got his "geniusness" from Lois. Lois and Malcolm are almost exactly alike: they both gripe about their mothers even though they love them, they both complain about anything and everything, they(as already stated) are both extremely intelligent, and Lois sometimes make Malcolm feel like crap just like Ida made Lois feel like crap when she was young.
Sorry if I got off point. I just realized all the similarities.:)

yardgames

Retired Administrator
You're really right. We've always compared Francis to Lois and Reese to Hal but the similarities between Lois and Malcolm are stunning.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
You bring up a lot of great points Tony. I never really thought about Lois and Malcolm being that much alike before, but now that you point out all the similiarities, it's suprising just how much alike they really are. It makes me think of Mono and how quickly and easily they were able to bond with one another when forced into a confined environment together. Of course, the whole Pidazzler thing was just meant for laughs, but they made another type of connection at that point in realizing how much they had in common. They'd just never taken the time to see it before.