Follow-up of "What we do not want to see in Season 7" thread

Amigo22

Super Moderator
Prior to Season 7 starting, we had a discussion of things we didn't want to see:

- Any characters killed off
- Dewey have a girlfriend/boyfriend
- Dewey to join the Krelboynes

- Malcolm to remain being a loser and social reject - Can't anything go right for him!
- Lois to have another child

- Strewn together episodes, or single storyline eps
- Jamie doesn't turn out to be the "perfect child"
- No more sensitive Reese.
- No missing Francis
- No happy/perfect/sappy
ending.
- Stevie "miraculously" cured
- Jamie won´t miraculously age 3 years or something
- Hal will "calm down" a bit and won´t be as crazy as he was in the 6th season
- No more of the Buseys
- Dewey should become less arrogant this season.
- Piama pregnant(or else near the end)
- Many episodes focused on the parents, especially Hal.
- Not too much sensitive Dewey, I prefer to see his smartness and rancour.
- No more stupid stuff about Dewey like in no motorcycles in which he still believes in the tooth fairy and he believes Hal when he promises him a trip on a rocket ship (completely ridiculous).
-No neglected Dewey, yes I know I'm obsessed by Dewey, but he's my favourite character.
- Poor or absurd idea and lack of perfectionnism(like in the two last seasons)
- A character who comes back overnight like Kitty did (or else near the end)
- A third clip show.
- Reese and Malcolm in the same class

I think that Dewey had well and truely gone past the "cute" stage this season and he had begun to act like a teenager. This is evident in several episodes; Bride of Ida and College Recruiters to name two I can remember.

And on that note, Malcolm and Reese, despite both having graduated this season, showed little evidence of maturity, particularly in A.A. At their ages, they should have been long past doing what they did to Dewey, as should Francis with his "Brotherhood Initiation" process from Season 6.

What are you guys' thoughts?

yardgames

Retired Administrator
But the boys don't mature!! That's not writing a writing flaw--that's a flaw into the boys that the writers built in!

It's kind of funny how many things we didn't want to happen actually happened. Particularily Stevie being sort of cured for an episode, Lois being pregnant (that one test could have been a false positive, you know), Dewey having a girlfriend (who said he would have a boyfriend!?), and Malcolm remaining a total social reject. Nonetheless, we all agreed it was an awesome season. Which goes to show you how truly talented the MITM writers are.

I really believe that the Krelboynes should have played a greater part in season 7. Although, I am happy the Busey's role was diminished (never liked them)

Alfista Junior

yardgames said:
But the boys don't mature!!

The way they look at their age has obviously allowed the show to continue in this direction.. The is true not only for Frankie but also for Justin. They look much younger. Frankie at 21 looks like me at 17.

PBUNDY

I can't believe how young Frankie looks for his age! Justin looks at least three years older than him. Especially in the first season, he looks like he's 10, when in reality he was like 14.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Deweyrules! said:
I really believe that the Krelboynes should have played a greater part in season 7. Although, I am happy the Busey's role was diminished (never liked them)

I would have like to have seen more of the Krelboynes in season 7 too. Morp would have been a perfect opportunity for them to bring some of them back, then they could have had them in graduation too since they obviously were part of Malcolm's graduating class.

I never really liked the Busey's either, but it would have been nice to know what happened as far as if Dewey was still in the class, or if he had been moved back to the regular classes.

Otherwise, that's interesting how many of the things people said they didn't want to see actually happened. But a few wishes came true too--like no more sensitive Reese. :D

I though Reeses ending was a bit depressing. Basically saying that he will become Craig. It would have been nice if he'd enrolled in catering college, or tries to follow in the footsteps of Francis, by just trying to find some job 1000s of miles away from Lois.

There seemed to be a change in writers and directors for season 7. If, you look at the credits, a number of those who had directed in previous seasons, became writers. Similiarly, a number of writers, appeared to direct episodes. One epsiode which I found I bit, for want of a better word- dodgy- was the haloween ep. It seemed that they were trying to do bowling again, but without any real plot or great comedy. Just appeared to be dictated by style rather than humour.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
That's true, after Linwood retired a couple of the original writers retired and they were all replaced. I would agree there was a noticeable difference.

Evil King

F.A.Q Freak
What I think would have been a good ending for Reese was if they had given us a small/big hint that he would take the Cooking Path! I can imagine Reese as a Chef lol.

MITM_Fan

What I really disliked of season 7 was the last episode, it was a rush literally.

As it was the last of the serie they could have stretched to 40mins, e.g. Malcolm's long speech, more detailed family, more stuff etc.

AlexTheMartian

not many shows have long final episodes. Most sitcoms now their final episode sucks and it is just a way to wrap up the series. The last time there was long finales was in the 90s. I am talking about broadcast networks though. However I think Nickelodeon does a good job with ending their series, they make the last episodes into a full-length TV Movie, and give it a name like if it was a movie.