If Malcolm wasn't going to FX...

reese35

...where do you think it should go to? My top options...

USA - referencing their "Characters Welcome" campaign,
TBS - the show is like their slogan: "Very Funny",
ABC Family - I think the Family reference is self explanatory,
TNT - Some drama, and High-Definition!:)D ) j/k
Cartoon Network - If they can air "Saved by the Bell"...
Comedy Central - They need this breed of sitcom!
Nick @ Nite - They're classic!

I guess any network with comedy or family, u could put it on there, and it suits them fine.

Ryebeach

reese35 said:

I guess any network with comedy or family, u could put it on there, and it suits them fine.
Great question Mike! :) Personally, while I can understand the reason the show will be airing on FX since it's owned by parent company News Corp, I just don't see it as a fit with their current programming. When I hear FX, I immediately think The Shield as that show gets a lot of publicity.

Thinking of MITM, TBS is the first network that would come to mind for syndicated episodes. I remember their ads in recent years which aired on both TV and in movie theaters, displaying their slogan, "Very Funny." MITM definately fits the bill and I think that network would be a nice fit for the series, if it was up to me. :D

jetcombo15

reese35 said:

USA - USA is more drama-oriented. Besides, it's not the same demographic.
TBS - I doubt they'd accept, it probably wouldn't get them ratings as high as Friends or Everybody Loves Raymond (although Malcolm does get pretty high ratings in syndication). I don't know where they'd put it in their schedule, though (I think instead of showing reruns of the same crappy movie 3 days in a row, they could put Malcolm there instead).
ABC Family - Could happen, but I'm not sure what time slot they'd put it in.
TNT - No comment.
Cartoon Network - Saved By The Bell is purely for children, Malcolm isn't. Besides Malcolm isn't a "Crappy 1980's Live Action Television Show" (as Adult Swim puts it).
Comedy Central - Not really the correct type of audience for the show.
Nick @ Nite - Malcolm just ended a bit over a month ago. Nick usually only airs shows that aired at least 10 years ago.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
As long as we're talking about MITM syndication ratings, there was an article in my newspaper last week that said MITM is in the top ten, #4, I believe, top-rated syndicated shows for the 18-34 (most desireable) demographic. That's pretty good. :)

jetcombo15

yardgames said:
As long as we're talking about MITM syndication ratings, there was an article in my newspaper last week that said MITM is in the top ten, #4, I believe, top-rated syndicated shows for the 18-34 (most desireable) demographic. That's pretty good. :)

Yes, that's what I heard (which is what I thought about when I said Malcolm was one of the top syndicated shows). I believe the top three are Seinfeld, Friends, and Everybody Loves Raymond. Honestly, I'm not sure how. All three are crap, in my humble opinion.

The DVD sales for Malcolm were supposed to have surpassed expectations as well. I don't have exact figures, there are just a number of sites that state the they sold far better than expected. So why are the figures that it's judged by apparantly so low??!

Murph

A while back, the idea of MITM on Nick would have annoyed me, but after seeing some shows Nick have shown, like Complete Savages, I think it MAY suit, but, like in the good ol' days before cable and Primetime, couldn't they just syndicate on LOTS of small networks?

reese35

We may have a slight breakthrough. I was looking at Wikipedia at the TBS page. I don't know if this may be an editing joke or not, but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TBS_%28TV_network%29#Programs_currently_airing

So today I e-mailed TBS to see if it was true. Message was like so...
Hey, i'm a loyal fan of "Malcolm in the Middle." I was looking at Wikipedia and saw that you were fixing to reair the show in November of this year. Is this true? And if so, will you reair the first-run versions instead of the cut ones used on syndication on local stations?

Mike P, Orlando, FL.
I could get a reply within the week or the next two. Let's (the Americans, no offense to the outta country members) cross our fingers....

Ryebeach

reese35 said:
We may have a slight breakthrough. I was looking at Wikipedia at the TBS page. I don't know if this may be an editing joke or not, but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TBS_%28TV_network%29#Programs_currently_airing

So today I e-mailed TBS to see if it was true. Message was like so...

I could get a reply within the week or the next two. Let's (the Americans, no offense to the outta country members) cross our fingers....
Thanks for letting us know and checking on this for us, Mike. :) I do hope it turns out to be true although if it is, I'm surprised we've seen no announcement about this before now as this decision would have had to be made a long time ago. I think of all the available networks out there, TBS would be a great fit for MITM.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
I have to go with Mike's first choice...USA network. Good shows, characters...MITM would fit right in.:)
And on a related note(about syndication)...I hereby make a bet that when MITM airs on FX, it's rerun ratings are going to skyrocket and the show will become a big cult classic.:)

reese35

Recap: Don't get too excited. It definitely was an editing fluke at Wikipedia. Looks like the latest we'll see Malcolm on cxable is next year on FX. I know I haven't gotten the TBS e-mail yet, but better we assume now than get hyped up until November, know what I'm sayin'? :D Anyway, sorry for exciting you guys.

Ryebeach

reese35 said:
Recap: Don't get too excited. It definitely was an editing fluke at Wikipedia. Looks like the latest we'll see Malcolm on cxable is next year on FX. I know I haven't gotten the TBS e-mail yet, but better we assume now than get hyped up until November, know what I'm sayin'? :D Anyway, sorry for exciting you guys.
No problem, Mike. Thanks for following up and keeping us posted on this. :)

Murph

While I was in Florida, I saw MITM on WB (soon to be merged with UPN to make...some channel), is this a national deal?

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Yeah, that's called syndication. Right now, Fox sends out two MITM feeds each day, which are aired locally in each market, usually on Fox, UPN, or the WB. In fall, the WB and UPN will be no more--but they aren't really merging. Most WB stations are rather converting to the CW, which will air some former WB content, some former UPN content, and some original content. But most UPN stations are going to become affiliated with another new network, called My Network TV, which is actually operated by Fox, and is going to air telenovelas--basically two shows a night every night until their story is done and a new one starts. But I guess we're really off-topic here--have I answered your question? :)