Is 2006 the year for Jane Kaczmarek to finally win an emmy?

Ryebeach

I sure hope so as does Tom O'Neill from the L.A. Times. Here's the link to a wonderful, in-depth article as to which episode Jane should submit for a nomination for this years Emmy nominations and hopefully, ultimately, a long overdue win. :)

http://goldderby.latimes.com/awards_goldderby/2006/05/emmys_kaczmarek.html

Do you agree with the episode choices in the article? Or do you think there's another season 7 episode where Jane really shines? After reading the article and seeing the supporting points made, I'd have to agree that Jane most certainly gave an emmy worth performance in Lois Strikes Back, with a wide range of emotions and comedy throughout.

Nominations for the 2006 Emmy Awards will be announced on Thursday, July 6th with the awards show airing Live, Sunday, August 27th at 8:00pm Eastern Time on NBC.

PBUNDY

That was an excellent article! Thanks for posting the link to it. I agree with what the article says Jane's best episode this season was definately Lois Strikes Back. She was excellent in the episode and had a lot of face time. The article makes good points with her speech to Malcolm in Graduation, but she doesn't appear in that many scenes.

Here's to you, Jane. I hope 2006 is your year to shine!:)

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
It would be great if she won this year since this is her final chance to win an emmy for portraying Lois, now that the show is over.:(

Tyno

Malcolm-France
Graduation would be a great episode for Jane's nomination, but I think you have to know the series to appreciate this ep and Jane's acting. The backyard scene is really sad, and Lois' face at Malcolm's speech... but yeah, we don't see her a lot in the ep and she don't have very funny scenes.

Lois Strikes Back could be a good ep, indeed. And we see Jane a lot in the ep. Hal's Dentist (where Lois's learning how to ride a bike) could be a good episode too, I really enjoyed her performance.

Anyway, thanks for the link. Oh, and I have an additonal question : are we sure that Jane is going to be nominated?

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
from article said:
As every savvy Emmy guru knows, the choice must meet three crucial criteria. It must demonstrate a broad emotional range, it must have at least one big money scene and — here's the stickler that's often tripped her up in the past — it must showcase her character in a sympathetic light. That's a big stumbling block. Her character, Lois, doesn't cope with her hooligan boys by doling out forgiving smiles and Rice Crispy Squares like June Cleaver.

Based on this criteria, I'd say Lois Strikes Back is the perfect choice. Not sure about the "money scene," but from reading the article I don't think they mean in in a sense that actually deals with money (forgive me, I'm that familiar with all those fancy Hollywood terms. :D ) Jane does a great job in that ep and shows a broad range of emotions. I really hope she wins this time. She certainly deserves it!

reese35

My money's on Lois Strikes Back. As hard-assed as Lois is, this is one episode that will make Jane a shoo-in.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
What's so grand about "Lois strikes back"?
As far as a certain scene goes, she deserves to win for her speech to Malcolm about ethics in "Graduation". She did an excellent job explaining to Malcolm what would make him great.:)

Malcoholic

Just got around to reading this superb article. What interested me most is the reviewer's idea that the sudden change in that gripping "Lois Strikes Back" scene, from devastatingly emotional to ironic, will jeopardize Jane's chances to get the Emmy. I suspect the reviewer may be right, although he himself expresses the hope that the judges will recognize that it is precisely this ironic twist that raises this scene to the level of brilliance--the conflict within Lois, between idealism and brutality, is not resolved, it is everpresent in her temperament. The two forces that pull her in opposite directions are engaged in a tug-of-war, sometimes one seems to prevail, sometimes the other, but the conflict never ends, because the brutal and the idealistic are integral parts of her nature.

To do her portrayal of Lois justice, it's necessary to view this scene in conjunction with her other late-season masterpiece: the plea to Malcolm in "Graduation," to overcome egotism and dedicate his genius to serving others. Here the idealistic prevails over the brutal. It's the other part of the story. "Lois Strikes Back" ended with Malcolm tied up, helplessly protesting Lois and Reese's brutality, with Lois joined at the heart with the pure brute, Reese. In "Graduation" Lois has one thing to say to Reese: Get out! She devotes the rest of the episode to Malcolm, and at the graduation, she and Malcolm are depicted as totally joined at the heart. No one familiar with this whole series would conclude that Lois has now rejected one son and devoted herself entirely to the other. She will always be the mother of both, love both; polar opposites though they are, they are both equal reflections of who she is. Which episode deserves an award? Flip a coin. It's the total portrayal that merits recognition.