Herkabe or Lois

Who does Malcolm hate more, Herkabe or Lois?

• Herkabe

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Lois

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

arach

In my opinion nobody does.

Lois is his mother. She doesn't hate him at all. It's just her hardcore-education that makes it look like if she would.

And Herkabe doesn't hate him either. He just plays around with him all the time. I think he is trying to teach him in some strange way... He tries to teach him that life is not fair and that he should be careful all the time. He shows him that when you are gifted, your life isn't easier at all. He challenges him all the time.

Dewey

Minimalistic
Thats an interesting poll.

I think Arach is right, but to add something, I believe that he probably hates his Mom more, due to the fact that Herkabie is only a person in his life for the short term.

Malcolm would probably come to realise that when he has finished school, he will never see his teacher again; where as his Mom is with him for life.

allison

I think so. :D

I think he neither hates Lois nor Herkabe. I mean if he really hated his mother he wouldn´t have driven that golf car into the pool with his brothers. He just did it because Hal´s family had treated Lois very badly before. But he definitely thinks that she´s very annoying. :D

I don´t know what he thinks about Herkabe. Wasn´t there an episode where he referred to him as a psycho? I think he doesn´t care enough about Herkabe to hate him. He probably just thinks he´s a horrible person and an awful teacher (which isn´t very flattering, but I wouldn´t call that "hatred"):D

dizzy

I think he hates Herkabe more, Lois is his mom, there must be some love there. Herkabe is his teacher and he doesn't love his teacher

yardgames

Retired Administrator
Interesting thoughts; yes, arach, I meant from Malcolm's point of view.

I think I would have to agree with you that the answer must be Herkabe; as dysfunctional and crazy as the family is, and allison pointed this out, they still manage to stand up for one another. Case in point: Family Reunion.

willdubbs

Malcolm doesn't hate Lois, he never did. Lois is his mother, she's not a good mother but she's not a terrible mother either. Even Francis has never hated Lois. He has often been mad at her, but otherwise he loves her, like Reese, Dewey and Malcolm in spite of the strange relationship they all have with her.

Jimmy Junior

At the end of the day 'blood is thicker than water' and while Malcolm may think Lois is harsh and unreasonable and sometimes THINKS he hates her, he'll always get over it and they'll all stick together as a family (again, the episode with the golf cart illustrates this perfectly).
Herkabe is a dickhead - he winds up everyone who crosses his path (especially Malcolm) and Malcolm doesn't take it well. That said, 'hate' is quite a strong word and I don't think Malcolm would wish any harm on anyone.

MITM-Fan

definitely Herkabe. I mean he can't stand his mother but he doesn't HATE her.
Very often I can't stand my sister but that doesn't mean that I hate her. :D
Herkabe is a teacher, a person outside the family bond...someone you can hate easier. I had a lot of teachers I used to hate, so it must be Herkabe. :D
But it's an interesting question. What we consider as "hate" is often just plain "dislike"..so what's the difference? I think you hate something/someone if you are reminded all the time, you have to think about the person in a lot of situations from your allday life. You can't eat, sleep, breathe without focusing your HATE on this person. Briefly said: you just want to kill him/her or at least want that person be unborn or something. :D
So in this case between Malcolm and Herkabe, I think it's just dislike. He keeps bugging him in lots of ways but it's simple smart-ass competition. :D

allison

MITM-Fan said:
But it's an interesting question. What we consider as "hate" is often just plain "dislike"..so what's the difference? I think you hate something/someone if you are reminded all the time, you have to think about the person in a lot of situations from your allday life. You can't eat, sleep, breathe without focusing your HATE on this person. Briefly said: you just want to kill him/her or at least want that person be unborn or something. :D
So in this case between Malcolm and Herkabe, I think it's just dislike. He keeps bugging him in lots of ways but it's simple smart-ass competition. :D
That´s what I think. It´s "easy" to dislike someone but it takes a lot to hate someone. My mother always used to say "hate" is a pretty strong word and I think she´s right. There are even people who think you can only hate someone if you really care for him in a way. I don´t know if this is true, I mean if a stranger does something really horrible to you you can hate him without even knowing him. But for Malcolm Herkabe is only a person he doesn´t want to hang around with and he doesn´t like, but I don´t think he really hates him and wants him to be unborn and things like that.
So I agree with you on that one.:D

herkabe is a petty, bitter, cynical buttmunch. Can't stand Malcolm because Macolm is his intellectual superior even at such a young age. The guy is definitely a character the viewer loves to hate. I am always happy when his plan to sabotage Malcolm backfires, like in the episode when he is calculating gradepoint averages for the krelbornes to the 15th place. Malcolm gets everyone to go crazy in time for the school board inspection. Classic episode.