dont kill me, but it's my opinion.

samboo1

Ok, im just gonna say something that i think is wrong with the forums...
the rep system is used too judgementally here! Ok so we have rep to distinguish the higher grade people from the lower users but personally i dont see a point. We are all equals here no matter if we joint 1 year ago or 2 weeks ago we still share the same amount of interest of mitm and that shouldnt be measured with rep! If anything i would say rep is fine but i think at the moment it is given for the wrong purpose, i think that really it should only be allowed to be given in the Wilkerson Times because this is a mitm forum and really the rep revolves around mitm and not other things we say in the tiki lounge etc.
Also the post count is to closely monitored with all that spam stuff. I mean ok double posting and all that shouldnt be done but if you open a thread and its said its spamming when its clearly not then it shouldnt be closed. The amount of posts is jsut irrelavent to your status here and it's likely that this need to get more posts makes people post for useless posts for an excuse, instead of quality thought through posts.
I know han_keep_smlin agrees with me on this. I hope you can see my point of view although im guessing most people dont agree with me but i think i should just give my opinion.

han_keep_smilin

yes i do agree and i think its a competition just to get high rep and high post numbers. i post because i want to say something and not because i want to get more rep or my post count up.
also yes i do think the forums are a bit too strict because we should have our own opinions on things. and if we say somethng bad we get rep talen off us or we get our thread closed!

no ofence to the mods but they are closed to often for not much of a reason. maybe if it was racist or lots of bad language or something like that but not if you are just wanting to start a conversation about someything.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
The rep system is in place to do just what you think it's not: ensure quality posts. People write quality posts and are rewarded, if you will, with good reputation. It communicates to members--new members especially--our appreciation for a good, quality post--or sometimes, for a really crappy post. I think that sometimes rep is given out a bit too liberally and should be reserved for the best or the worst posts, but that really is up to each individual member and is the purpose of the restrictions that limit the amount of rep each member can give.

As far as having an equal interest in MITM, I don't think that's true. I think some people are much bigger fans than others, but the show is what manages to unite us all on these forums. We're not saying that we are unequal in the forums; we're saying that members that have been here longer have had an opportunity to post many more things and that we have shown our appreciation to this respected member.

As for only being able to give rep in the Wilkerson Times, well that idea would be just goofy because as much as we all like MITM, we also have other interests and being able to share them is also important. As a matter of fact, I don't remember the last time you, samboo, posted in the Wilkerson Times.

I'm not sure what you're complaining about with the spamming. You're suggested that spamming is too closely tied to post count so we should patrol spamming less so people's post count increase faster because that would in turn reduce spam anyhow? Somehow, I don't think that would work. A forum must be patrolled to ensure that there is no spam and we hold ourselves to a high standard here at the MITMVC. Which brings me to my reminder to you to not use txt speek please.

If you have a problem with a thread that we've closed, then the usual policy stands: you need to PM the mod that closed the thread and discuss it with them. Otherwise, I'm not really sure what you're complaining about here either.

As for Hannah's comment that it's become a competition for high rep and high post count, I humbly disagree. There are people who make it such. We recently busted CJ's huge ring. But like you I think most people are here because they like the show and they like the people and I think most people post with the same motives as yourself. If there's a particular person you have a problem with, that should probably be addressed privately.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
Personally I don't think there is a problem wirth the current post ount/rep system. It doesnt have any huge drawebacks or benefits, so it doesnt affect people that much.

However I will chine in on the idea of the Mods closing threads to often, but I have discussed that with them before, so end of.