Help for non native speakers

Alfista Junior

I'd like to open a new thread where all non native speakers could ask for some help.

For example there are some words I don't understand the real meaning, or sometimes sentences I don't get..

To begin, could somebody tell me what "the R words" mean - Krealboynes Picnic. And from another episode from the first season, Sleepover, Stevie says "I didn't know... you cared". What does it mean?

Thanks for all.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Interesting idea for a thread, Alfista Junior. Since we have so many members who don't speak English as their primary language, it's a good idea to have a thread where they can ask for help to clear up questions about certain English phrases used on the show.

I'm not sure what "the R-words" from Krelboyne picnic means without rewatching the episode to see exactly what they were talking about at the time.

In regards to when Stevie says "I didn't know...you cared"--Malcolm must have done something nice for Stevie and it surprised him. Before this happened, Stevie didn't realize that Malcolm thought of him as a close friend. Again, I'm not exactly sure what they were talking about at the time, but I'm sure that's what Stevie meant by saying this. Does that help?

Alfista Junior

Yep. I understand right now. But at the first sight, I thought there was a close relation with the fact they fell down together to the ground and only that. I was wrong.

Concerning the 'R words', it would mean bad langage or rude words. But I think it must bring together a lot of words begining by this letter. Indeed, Lois says "Oh, R you lady" or something like that.

Anyway thanks for your help. This forum is really really nice.

rzombie1988

I know what he's talking about with the R word, unfortunately I can't guess what the R word is without seeing the episode. The lady who throws away Lois's snack with nuts in them, says something like Malcolm teached the krelboynes the R word. No one in america recognizes the R word or would know what it is unless they are major MITM fans like us.

In response to the I didn't know you cared quote, If I remember correctly Stevie said it in a sarcastic way. I'm sure he was not being serious.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I know what you're talking about. Actually, that's a joke because there is no real bad R word in the English language--that's why Lois said "R you lady" because she didn't see anything wrong with the kids discussing this dreaded R word.

Quite honestly, it could be anything. In my 8th grade reading class, SLACKER was considered a swear word. :D

Alfista Junior

Thanks for the previous answers. I've another question. I just ended rewatching the 'If Boys were Girls' episode. I was just wondering if there was a joke about the names of the magazines Francis asks his mother for checking. He says " I got a twenty-dollar-bet on whether the cover is 'Stagnum PI' or 'Magnum PU' ", if I've correctly understood ..

Any idea?

PS: Maybe it's me, but the scene at the shopping mall where Dewey talks to Malcolm looking at Reese sat on the floor is hard to understand. Actually I think Erik is sometimes hard to understand, don't you?