Stupid...Malcolm?

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
I just had to bring this into the light, even though most people probably already noticed it.
Has anyone noticed how Malcolm just seems to get more stupid every single season? When the show first started and he was younger, we was extremely smart and clever, used his wit to avoid trouble, came up with stuff and plans that worked, knew how to interact with people without pissing them off, and so on. But then, when season two came, he got a little dumber, and Malcolm started doing stupid stuff a genius wouldn't do. Then season three came, and he seemed like he wasn't using his brain anymore, and season four came, and so on and...now here at season seven, and he seems dumber than ever.:D Like at the hospital with Stevie, if Malcolm was so friggen smart, he would never have done anything like that.
Anyway, it's funny but if the show lasted a few more seasons, Malcolm would probably be as dumb as Reese. Now THAT would be something to see!:D

lisa

In germany the 5th season started few weeks ago and i was shoked how stupid malcolm is :( dewey called him what he has to do. My mother (she sometimes watchs MITM) asked me "I thought malcolm is the gifted son, isn't?".
Of cause it's still funny, but I think there is something missing....

rzombie1988

I don't really understand why they have Malcolm act so stupid. It makes no sense, and honestly I prefer the earlier Malcolm. Sometimes I think Reese is smarter than him as well.

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I found Stevie in the Hosptial (as I'll write in my analysis in that thread a bit later) to be an extremely realistic image of Malcolm. This was a great episode because the plot was interesting, but there was that amount of love in the episode that Linwood started with the Pilot. Malcolm knew exactly what he was going to do, and when it was showtime, he freaked out. That's not a quality of a dumb person or a genius, per se--that's just a quality of someone like Malcolm who doesn't necessarily associate with people enough to understand any more than their pessimistic side.

Other examples would be in High School Play, when he just can't think of his lines; Kicked Out, when all he can think about is himself; and Tiki Lounge, when he has to come to a major realization about himself at the podium in front of his school.

glm1234

i agree that malcolm is getting more and more stupid.reese is getting more mature,and dewey is getting smarter.

YesExactly

Maybe Malcolm figured out that life's not only about being smarter than anyone else and he actually has more fun being stupider.
In Germany they gave the episode "Stupid Girl" the title "Dumb but happy"..quite fitting if you aske me, maybe that's Malcolms new Motto :D

(Reese for President!!)

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
YesExactly said:
Maybe Malcolm figured out that life's not only about being smarter than anyone else and he actually has more fun being stupider.
In Germany they gave the episode "Stupid Girl" the title "Dumb but happy"..quite fitting if you aske me, maybe that's Malcolms new Motto :D

(Reese for President!!)

Renamed an epidoe that interesting...they done that with any other episodes?

I have definated noticed it, but i think the point isnt that he become stupider its just the episode focus less on school and acedemic stuff and more on social thing. He has never been good at soicla skill right from day one. Its sorta the whole point he is clever but socially not clever. Thats why i agree with Sam in saying that Stevie in Hospital is a good portrayl of both malcolm and the mutally exceptive nature of his friednship with stevie.