Frankie plans break from acting

Kratos

'Malcolm' star plans break from acting
Sunday, April 9 2006

Frankie Muniz has announced that he wants to take a break from acting.

The Malcom In The Middle star is pursuing a career as a professional race car driver, but plans to make a return to acting in two years' time.

"I really love racing and this is what I want to do right now and for the next two years," Muniz told BBC News Online.

"I've had Malcolm since I was 12. I want to want to act and, right now, I want to race. You can't really juggle both because, if you do, you just don't get enough time in the car. Truthfully, I think it will be easier for me to leave for a while and come back [to acting] when I'm 23, 24 and be an adult and start fresh."

Source DS

OK is it just me or does Frankie seem a bit OTT on the driving :D Bless him. I guess none of the MITM cast will have to work for the next 10 years or so if they chose, so a break sounds good to get refreshed or wait for a role they really want to do. :)

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Thanks for that Kratos. I'm not really sure how the whole process works, but I always thought it was kinda hard for an actor to return to the business after they've left it for awhile (unless they're really famous and sought after)--especially for a "child" star trying to make the transition to adult roles like Frankie. I believe that most actors/actresses who were child stars in sitcoms or whatever aren't that successful in finding other jobs (even when they don't take a break from acting) because everyone associates them with the one role. So I hope it won't be hard for him to return after a few years. But if he wants to race, then more power to him!! It sounds like he's really excited about it. I wish him the best of luck with that and if/when he ever decides to return to acting.

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Yeah, if you ask me, that's a kind of "retarted move", if you will, on Frankie's part, because if he leaves acting and goes racing, then what happens when he wants to return to acting after six, seven years? He'll come back to Hollywood, get a movie role, and when the thing is released and says,"Starring Frankie Muniz", half of the general movie goers will go,"Who in the world is Frankie Muniz?"
Also, what happend to his whole getting married and helping the people in New Orleans?

Kratos

tony_montana said:
Yeah, if you ask me, that's a kind of "retarted move", if you will, on Frankie's part, because if he leaves acting and goes racing, then what happens when he wants to return to acting after six, seven years? He'll come back to Hollywood, get a movie role, and when the thing is released and says,"Starring Frankie Muniz", half of the general movie goers will go,"Who in the world is Frankie Muniz?"
Also, what happend to his whole getting married and helping the people in New Orleans?

It is only press saying it still so its not 100% certain, although I do find DS to be fairly reliable about this kinda thing ;)

Plus you can be married and still drive a racing car :D But I do get what you saying, it is a bit strange to not even mention her about his plans within the next two years... that said maybe Frankie is direct with answering his questions, or more private, some actors it's like getting blood out of a stone.

Thanks Wildcat that's intresting. I think he might be OK more than the other younger cast members, because he has been in so much before. It's true he might have problems, but I think it will be harder for Justin and Eric if they decide to have a "rest"

lol we could all be soooo wrong!

Dabney

Deutscher Moderator
I just love Frankie for that. I mean, it's sad not to see him doing any movie projects for the next year, but his decision still is just cool. All the fans are like saying: "OMG, I hope so much that Frankie will be able to make the transition to an adult actor" or "oh, he will have to choose carefully what roles to take to become a well-respected adult actor" and the like, and what does he do? Nothing!!! Signing a contract as a professional race driver! I mean, how cool is that? Bang, in your face! I really wish him all the best for the next two years... :)

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Wouldn't it be a slap in the face of critics if Frankie enters NASCAR and ends up winning the ultimate racing championship at Daytona?:D

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
tony_montana said:
Wouldn't it be a slap in the face of critics if Frankie enters NASCAR and ends up winning the ultimate racing championship at Daytona?:D

Yeah, I'd like to see him race nascar too. I can relate to that because my dad watches it every week. I can't really get into the Indy/forumula 1 cars. Nascar is exclusive to the USA though and Forumula1 racing is worldwide, I think. He said he would be travelling all around the world for it. Do they ever show those races on Tv?

simon_4420

I think it is abit of a shame that we won't be seeing Frankie in new projects. But it's great that he is doing something that he wants to do (and is good at), as he is still young, so he should take this oppertunity.

I saw him on TV other day on the Hollywood Grand Prix 2006, as one of the professional drivers, and he was pretty good:D . I hope that some of the races are televised over hear in the UK so that I can see them. I don't think he would have a hard time getting back in to decent roles again, I think he would find it hard to leave the racing life, and return to acting...

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Im just dreaming here, but it would be AWESOME if Frankie designed his car with MITM painting all over it!:D It'd be even better if he won a bunch of races, which I hope he does.

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
I was looking at the Formula One BMW site and found a little more info on this here . Most of it is basically the same thing, but I found the list of races that Frankie will participate in this year (I'm not sure if they will be televised or not though):

Jensen continues, "Race fans and fans of Frankie personally will be able to watch him compete live at seven (7) races on the 2006 Formula BMW USA championship calendar, including:

May 19-21 Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course (near Columbus, Ohio)
May 26-29 Lime Rock Park, Connecticut
June 23-25 Canadian Grand Prix @ Montreal (with Formula One)
June 30 - July 2 United States Grand Prix @ Indianapolis (with Formula One)
July 28-30 San Jose Grand Prix, California (with Champ Car World Series)
August 11-13 Denver Grand Prix, Colorado (with Champ Car World Series)
September 1-3 Mosport Raceway, Toronto, Canada

I also found out that they do a preseason race in at the Virginia International Raceway in March (I'm guessing it's every year.) That's only about 100 miles from me!! Maybe I can go see him in person next year!! :eek: :D

Here's a photo of Frankie in his car:

fm5.jpg

yardgames

Retired Administrator
It looks like he's about ready to break every bone in his body from that pic--I hope he doesn't get hurt. :D

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
All the best to frankie. It will be sad not to see him on TV/Cinema. But im gunna do my darndest to see him racing. I personally not into racing, but id watch it for frankie!

I think he will come back to film, and i think he'll be able to pickit up fine. I mean he has done other films, its not just mitm. Like some child star they just do 1 series and then dont come back. He has widened his scope a little.

You have to remmebr he is only 20! i mean that like nothing. We talk about hi as if he been an actor all his "whole life" but hat only 20yrs, i mean mos actors dont get famous untill there much older, and i think if i was him i wanna try something different, and he likes cars, he has the money, he probly mised some of his life out cause of mitm so even tho part of me is sad that he aint doing film/tv anothe part is like, this is what he needs.

Being injured its allway a risk, wish u hadnt mentioned that sam! MITM ending, Frankie dying.....whatever next ! :D

fr3akz

Frankie Muniz´s new job

i read on www.malcolm-mittendrin.com that Frankie Muniz´s has become a race driver.
He has got a two year contract with Jensen Motorsport (Formul BMW USA Indy Car).
Frankie Muniz :"I'm now a professional race car driver".:eek:

Ryebeach

Frankie's competed in 4 races to date, the most recent one being yesterday. Here's how he's placed in the 4 races:

Race 1: Mid-Ohio - 5/20/2006

Frankie finished 20th out of 25.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=218488&FS=FBMW

Race 2: Mid-Ohio - 5/21/2006

Frankie finished 17th out of 25

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=218650&FS=FBMW

Race 3: Lime Rock - 5/27/2006

Frankie finished 20th out of 25

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=219386&FS=FBMW

Race 4: Lime Rock - 5/29/2006

Frankie finished 17th out of 25

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=219634&FS=FBMW

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
He's new at it so im not surprised.

He prob racing with people who have been pro for a while.
Anyone watched/be able to watch the races?