New projects announced for some MITM cast

Ryebeach

As filming has wrapped on MITM, some of the cast members have signed on for new projects, many of which are television pilots for the 2006-2007 television season. Here's what's been announced so far for future projects for some of the MITM cast:

Jane Kaczmarek

HELP ME HELP YOU (ABC) - Jane Kaczmarek (Lois on "Malcolm in the Middle") has reportedly joined the cast of the comedy pilot, about a group of crazy, self-obsessed strangers who attend the same therapy group. It's understood that she'll take over for Lolita Davidovich in the role of Anne, the wife of Ted Danson's character. No reason for the change was given. Charlie Finn, Darlene Hunt, Jere Burns, Jim Rash and Suzy Nakamura also star.

Plot:

Whoever came up with the horrible idea of group therapy? Take a bunch of people who are all really messed up in different ways and put them in a room together to try and help each other out. Yeah...that's a great idea. No conflicts there. Just a bunch of crazy, self-obsessed strangers...workin' it out. And if that isn't bad enough, Dr. Bill Hoffman (Ted Danson) is probably the craziest and most self-obsessed of all, but his patients would never know it because he hides behind his very respectable celebrity image as a best-selling author of phenomenally successful self-help books.

Source: www.thefutoncritic.com

Cloris Leachman

UNTITLED CHRIS SHERIDAN PROJECT (NBC) - Cloris Leachman (Pearl "Billie" Schwartz on HBO's "Mrs. Harris") is set to play mom to Eddie McClintock and Craig Bierko in the comedy pilot, about two brothers on opposite sides of the law who live next door to each other.

Plot:

Paul Malone is a dutiful FBI agent. His brother Tommy is a charming thief. While they live on opposite sides of the law, they reside on the same side of the street. In this irreverent comedy, Paul and Tommy are forced by family responsibilities to spend a lot of time together, and every time they meet there is something to fight over. Can their families and the rest of the neighborhood survive Paul and Tommy?s hilarious clash of moral principals and parenting styles? Their mother seems to think so.

Merrin Dungey (Kitty Kenarben on MITM) has signed on to a new drama pilot for FOX. Here's the details so far:

BEYOND (FOX) - Merrin Dungey (Kelly on "The King of Queens") has landed a role in the drama pilot, about the scientists at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory. She'll play Debbie in the 20th Century Fox Television-based hour, whose cast also includes Adrian Lester, Jonah Lotan, Rachael Stirling, Rachel Perry and Seth Gabel. David Self is behind the project, which Breck Eisner is directing. Brian Grazer and David Nevins of Imagine Television also serve as executive producers.

David Anthony Higgins

THE GUYS (ABC) - Bumper Robinson (Jackson on Hallmark's "Jane Doe" movies), Stephen Tobolowsky (A.S.A. Don Haffman on "C.S.I.: Miami") and David Anthony Higgins (Craig Feldspar on "Malcolm in the Middle") are the first to be cast in the comedy pilot, about a group of dads who become friends through their kids' playgroup. Craig Doyle is behind the Warner Bros. Television-based half-hour, which Rob Schiller is directing with Eric Tannenbaum and Kim Tannenbaum also serving as executive producers.

^^It's interesting to note that David's co-star in this pilot, character actor, Stephen Tobolowsky, played the Lucky Aide store manager in the episode, Lois' Makeover.

Source: TheFutonCritic

Frankie Muniz

As Christina mentions in the "Frankie Talk Show" thread, Frankie has signed on for a two year deal with Jensen's motorsports for professional race car driving.

Here's the press release from Jensen's with more info: http://www.jensenmotorsport.com/news/news_stories/060227_news.htm

Best of luck to all cast members for these and all future projects.:)

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Ryebeach said:
Jane Kaczmarek

HELP ME HELP YOU (ABC) - Jane Kaczmarek (Lois on "Malcolm in the Middle") has reportedly joined the cast of the comedy pilot, about a group of crazy, self-obsessed strangers who attend the same therapy group. It's understood that she'll take over for Lolita Davidovich in the role of Anne, the wife of Ted Danson's character. No reason for the change was given. Charlie Finn, Darlene Hunt, Jere Burns, Jim Rash and Suzy Nakamura also star.

Thanks for the info, Rye! I'm surprised that Jane has signed on to do another show. When she was on Craig Fergeson it sounded like she was happy that she would have more time to spend with her kids. Not that I'm complining or anything, I look forward to seeing her in other shows. :)

I'm still hoping that Justin will sign on with another show for the fall. I haven't heard anything about his plans.

Kratos

Wildcat said:
Thanks for the info, Rye! I'm surprised that Jane has signed on to do another show. When she was on Craig Fergeson it sounded like she was happy that she would have more time to spend with her kids. Not that I'm complining or anything, I look forward to seeing her in other shows. :)

I'm still hoping that Justin will sign on with another show for the fall. I haven't heard anything about his plans.

I agree with you on all your points lol. Shocked a little about Jane too, not sure if its true tho, so we will just have to wait it out. Maybe the shooting is less than MITM.

Re; Justin. Hmmm I would like to see him in something else too, but I have this feeling he will stay behind the camera in the near future, just a hunch anyway *shrugs*

Wildcat

Retired Moderator
Kratos said:
Re; Justin. Hmmm I would like to see him in something else too, but I have this feeling he will stay behind the camera in the near future, just a hunch anyway *shrugs*

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting about J2 Productions. :eek: You're right, he probably will be behind the camera from now on. Maybe he'll decide to do some more acting eventually (lets hope!)

yardgames

Retired Administrator
I was just chuckling to myself reading about David's--it sounds exactly like Craig's character, doesn't it? Except now he has to deal with kids. LOL Sounds like the perfect role for him. And Jane as a crazy woman--how fitting. :D

Thanks for that news, Rye!

Question: on a couple of them you said it was for the Pilot episodes--are you saying they just signed for the Pilot episodes, or they're just guest starring for the pilots, or what?

Tyno

Malcolm-France
Thanks for the news! I can't wait to see Jane in a new comedy! I'm really curious about that, I'd even say excited! :)
But that's just projects, and it's probable that some of those shows won't be picked-up and so won't be aired, though.

Ryebeach

yardgames said:
Question: on a couple of them you said it was for the Pilot episodes--are you saying they just signed for the Pilot episodes, or they're just guest starring for the pilots, or what?
All the actors that I mentioned have only signed for the pilot as that's all the various networks have ordered so far. However, if the networks pick up the shows, after seeing the pilots, for either a full season order of 22 episodes or a half season order, these roles would be starring roles in the shows. The problem comes in that sometimes actors sign on and film a pilot (which are usually filmed in April) and if the networks pick them up in May or after, regular filming doesn't start until August or later and by then, sometimes the actors have taken on other projects and their roles have to be recast. And as Tyno said, sadly, a lot of pilots never get picked up by the networks and are never seen.:( These all sound great, especially Jane's, so I'm hoping they get picked up for next fall.:)

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
Yes! I was hoping to see Jane in a new project soon! I bet she'll make that show huge!:) And about Justin, I hope he acts more as well, but if you ask me, I think if he did everything right at his J2 production studio, he'd become a fantastic director! I bet Justin could make a few really good movies if he tried!:)

Kratos

tony_montana said:
And about Justin, I hope he acts more as well, but if you ask me, I think if he did everything right at his J2 production studio, he'd become a fantastic director! I bet Justin could make a few really good movies if he tried!:)

That's my thinking too... I just feel that Justin isnt intrested in acting as much as the others, I could be soooo wrong but I reckon it will be more production work :( *hopes to be wrong*

I was thinking last night... Could Jane be anything other than Lois? :p I cant wait to see if she can pull it off.

Amigo22

Super Moderator
That's a really interesting observation. It would be interesting to see the actors playing different roles in different shows - we've all been so used to seeing them for 7 seasons on MITM, it would be weird seeing them in other shows.

glm1234

oh ok i only know the names of the family and a few other people.

as i was writing this i was about to take a sip of drink and spilt it all over my trousers,so now it looks like ive wet myself.:D

Amigo22

Super Moderator
glm1234 said:
as i was writing this i was about to take a sip of drink and spilt it all over my trousers,so now it looks like ive wet myself.:D

lol my pants look like that every day after work :D

tony_montana

Semper Fidelis
My school has a strict bathroom break rule, so some people get pants like that....and WHY are we talking about pissin our selves on this thread?:D
And no offense to the actress, but I shudder at Ida ever being mentioned.

tjpeople

Site Administrator
Staff member
tony_montana said:
My school has a strict bathroom break rule, so some people get pants like that....and WHY are we talking about pissin our selves on this thread?:D
And no offense to the actress, but I shudder at Ida ever being mentioned.

Sounds like a harsh school.......

All i can say i good luck to them all. How does this contradict with what Jane said on her interviews about having a break fro acting, or is it just that she will work but less?

J2 Productions have done some stuf allready be nice to hit the big time.